gypsylov1
Newly Registered

what bug is this?

what I know...
1. there was about 50-75 of them about this size and what looked to be several other smaller ones as well. ( anything in these numbers can't be good right?)
2. they fly
3. bugs it kinda looks like ,but I don't think it is: ground beetle (looks thinner in shape to me, and not sure if ground beetles fly), assassin bug ( it doesn't have a huge antenna and the body is a bit different)

again I can only assume its a pest.
I live in the northern part of illinois close to WI
I currently have hoop houses up in my raised bed gardens.
I have opened the hoop houses when weather has permitted.

[img]https://assets3.pinimg.com/upload/142356038191701343_fQHuncIo_c.jpg[/img]

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Could it be a Leaf Footed bug?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It looks to me like a love bug. I think the genus is Plecia, if you want to research them. I don't know whether they damage crops or not.

I checked them on bugguide.net. These bugs feed on nectar, pollen, and decaying vegetable matter. They are also called March Flies.

If my ID is right, of course.;)

gypsylov1
Newly Registered

punk rotten- I don't think its a leaf footed bug. it is way to skinny and the markings are different. in the picture I took his butt looks fatter than it is... that's his wings. his body was a little skinnier than that.

Kisal- It looks very similar indeed. the only thing that would make me question this is my bug has red or orange on its legs too not just the head. Also love bugs appear to be native to South America and I live almost in WI. not that it would not be possible for them to somehow migrate. I don't believe I own any plants that came from SA. However they do live in moist damp organic conditions and that's exactly what I have in my hoop houses.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”