PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

What kind of bug is this?

Hi,

I have a Onion that has flowered. I noticed about 3-4 of these tiny bugs on it that look like ladybugs. But they are really small, and their coloration is a striped brown and white. That is about the best way I could describe them. Anyone know what they could be? I saw one the other day on something else but ignored it. Now today there is like 3-4 hanging out in the fluffy flower or the onion plant.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Do they look like [url=https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=potato%20beetle&gbv=2&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi]these little buggers?[/url] If so, they're potato beetles, which you should be squishing ASAP.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

They could be. I did not examine them that well and when I looked again they were gone. I am gonna try and get a pic maybe. I don't have any potatoes though. Do they attack other crops or are they specific?

applestar
Mod

Eggplants. Colorado potato beetles LOVE eggplants.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

If I remember correctly they look a little different from potato beetle. But I will try and get a pic if I see them. I don't have potatoes or eggplants. All I have out there right now is a few green onions that flowered, kale, parsley, few carrots, garlic, one tomato plant but in another location, one serrano pepper in another location, arugula, chives and that's about it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The potato beetle likes any plants in the nightshade family, which includes potatoes, eggplant AND tomatoes.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

They went after my giant cape gooseberries last year too!
Drove me crazy!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Not sure if they are even potato beetles I remember they looked a little different. The markings weren't quit straight like that. I will try to get a pic soon.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I saw them again on another onion flower. There is a good amount of them but they do not seem to be damaging the plant at all. And I do not see them bothering other plants, I see them no other place. I tried to get a few pics but they are really tiny.

[img]https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/punkrotten/942_2770.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/punkrotten/942_2775.jpg[/img]

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

After some looking around I think they are called Varied Carpet beetles or something. What does everyone else think?

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”