Susan W
Greener Thumb

Bugs, herbs & more

I've had a few problems with 'bugs' on the herbs, and only a couple of serious things. As this is my cash crop, I do try to stay ahead of problems. There was an infestation of something, never seen on the basil inside this winter. Hopefully can detect any problems with that this season.

In the past have had a few leaves, some concentrated of oregano showing white lines and spots. This spring it is in the oregano, some marjoram, lemon verbena, thyme, mint etc. (warm winter?!), and a bit of basil outside. In the past pick off offending leaves/stems and toss, and things get under control as new healthy sprouts grow out.

Yesterday brought a few sprigs of the various problemed herbs to the extension service. I figured to be told, oh that's a whats-it bug, use which-it chemical. I was shown to the Master Gardeners, 2 there at the time. Clueless. Another one of their's came on deck, and took a look. First she thought I was diagnosing plants. I kept my cool and just said yes, that is oregano. I grow herbs and sell at the market. Then was told bugs don't get into herbs. I can see where this conversation is going!! She tried to find something crawling, nothing. Was told they can't recommend anything without the culprit. (Isn't that why I went to their office?)

Today got a few sprigs, same plants and stopped at the main garden center. I had 3 agree something is bothering the plants. Duh! They agreed to remove the worst stems. I mentioned I had insecticidal soap (bought from them), and go with that. I can spray after I pick for market, then a few days later water wash before next picking.

applestar
Mod

Susan, show us some pictures. :wink:

Since so many are affected, have you tried milk solution in case it's a fungal problem? Warm winter may also have contributed to overwintering and active spores.

Also, is there any change in your potting soil formula?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Thanks AS for response! I have to admit part of this was a rant.
The master gardeners want to think they know everything, and can't handle the iffies (grey, not all or nothing). The garden center sees umteen like mine/day. Trust me, I have worked garden centers and the leaf damage usually indicates problem. This is especially true with a local area.

Back to damage control!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”