ThomasCA

BAH!!! What to do with all these ladybugs?!?!?!

Last night I hit up the local Armstrong's to get me a new shovel....BTW, this place is like Toys-R-Us to me. I could spend hours roaming around in awe.

So, after being rung up, the cashier gave me a large mesh bag full of ladybugs for free...like thousands! AWESOME!

I get home and look around the garden and find I don't really have a need for them right now! Usually, it's mid Spring and during Summer that I start having insect problems and can use some ladybugs in the garden.

So what should I do with them? I was thinking about a covert operation by dividing them up and distributing them in the yards around my home, in hopes of being proactive and dealing with a potential bug problem now rather than later on (most of the houses around have mostly full lots of weeds. I'm wondering if the influx of bad insects every year crop up from their yards).

Any ideas? :roll:

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

You could do that. Or if you don't know what to do you can always give some away. Put an ad up on craigslist or gardenweb I bet someone will want them if they are in the area.

applestar
Mod

Monarch butterflies can be kept for about a week in the refrigerator if taken out and misted ( don't remember how often). Perhaps you could do the same with ladybugs?

You don't have anything at all that needs their service? My fruit trees are starting to bloom so I think aphids are not so far behind around here.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Freecycle.org is another great place to offer your personal bounty, whether it be newspapers, baby clothes, or ladybugs. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

ThomasCA

I ended up taking a walk around the block late last night.

I saw 2 families working in their gardens, and offered a few handfuls to them at the base of their plants. They seemed to appreciated it after I explained their usefulness.

I let the rest of them loose in a couple emtpy lots and flower gardens surrounding my home, and in my herb boxes. I hope I can still get more later this season!

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

That was nice of you I've read most you put in your yard just fly away anyways.
I wonder if you could breed your own lady bugs. Like people do with worms.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Here's how you keep them in your yard.
https://www.ehow.com/how_2128667_keep-ladybugs-garden.html

ThomasCA

excellent tips! thanks.

As of this morning, about a week later, I still have ladybugs in my herb planters and throughout my wild flowers, as well. I can basically stick my hand into any one of these bushes and when I pull it out, I have ladybugs crawling all over my hands. So, it looks like they like the garden so far.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”