sn00py
Newly Registered

peppercorn looking mounds in yard

I have these peppercorn looking mounds and I have no idea what they are. When you step on them they crush like powder but no ants come out.. there is a hole. I have seen termite trails and these do not look like them at all. it just looks like someone gently dropped black BBs.

I've put Diatomaceous earth on them but have no idea if that is having an effect.

any insight would be awesome!

Thank you!

applestar
Mod

They could be some kind of fungus -- like slime mold.

sn00py
Newly Registered

the powder IS dirt... if you move the mound the bottom center in the ground is a hole. I do not think it is a fungus.

appreciate the reply

Thanks

applestar
Mod

If they WERE slime mold or tiny mushrooms, I would assume they had matured and the powdery substance would be spores.

OK -- are they ALL spherical like peppercorn and peppercorn size? Or are they more irregular and somewhat larger... And do they sometimes look like tiny volcano lava welling up? They could be earthworm castings.

BTW, why put DE on them if you don't know they're good or bad? :wink:

sn00py
Newly Registered

all spherical... no volcano either just a mound.

given my past issues with the yard... I tend to kill first ask questions later... I am always comforted by the fact that if they are good there are thousands more in my yard doing whatever it is that they do. Also - I have renters next door who do NOTHING to their yard so right now there is a 12" wide layer of DE along the fence line.

Keep in mind I have nothing against fleas, ants or any other annoying bug I just prefer them not in my yard. if you have not priced flea protection lately holy junk man 360$/yr for 2 dogs... just for flea stuff... if I happen to kill a few earthworms with the DE... that is 10lb for $25.. so be it. sorry.. I digress...

anyway... DE only went on the bigger mounds... there are prolly 50 more that are still safe.... ....for the moment ;]

applestar
Mod

Wah. Now I WANT to know what they are! 8)

So they are round and BB sized? I think I misunderstood before -- you're saying there is a hole in the bottom OF the .. er .. Dirtball? Not in the ground below? Are the holes always on the bottom side?

Only two critters I can think of that make perfectly spherical earth balls are dungbeetles (but theirs are much bigger, aren't they?) and potters wasps (about 1/2" diameter, and I find their mud balls stuck on walls, window screens, and garden furniture, not on the ground).

San Antonio... As in Texas, right? So maybe these are something I'm not familiar with.... Hmmm.... :?

sn00py
Newly Registered

I will take video of it when I get home throw it on youtube and link it when I get home tonight. should see it around 6pm CST.

appreciate the help.

pow wow

They sound to me like the mounds dew worms/night crawlers make. Dew worms will come to the surface for oxygen when there is a heavy rain or when the lawn has been well watered. They do no harm and actually aerate the lawn. Not great having to walk across these mounds or mow over them. I just try and ignore them but you could rake the mounds.

sn00py
Newly Registered

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnPB0sS ... ata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLhIXgG ... ata_player

My apologies... recorder did not fet the orientation correct

Let me know what u think

pow wow

I think they're dew worms. What you could try is soaking the ground there really well and see if any of the big worms come up for air.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”