OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Leave it or Take it Out?

I noticed a large Spider the long leg ones next to my Seedlings inside my room, should I take it out or leave it, I do have a small fruit fly problem in my seedlings, but could the spider be a bigger problem?
Trance Me Away

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Spider might help...but it's probably not fruit flies. If it's localized around your seedlings it's probably fungus gnats (which I recently learned are totally different from fruit flies). Let your soil dry out good before the next watering and it'll take care of the fungus gnats. After that the spider's fate is in your hands. I'd say place him outside in the garden. Spiders are a welcome visitor in my garden!!!!
Jeff

USDA Zone 7a, Sunset Zone 32.

Failure is only a fact when you give up.

OROZCONLECHE
Green Thumb

Well I can't let the soil dry out cuz some seeds are still sprouting and trying to sprout
Trance Me Away

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No you can't let the soil dry out totally and that is why fungus gnats are such a problem with indoor seed starting. But do be very careful with water and type fungus gnats in to Search the Forum keyword box and find tons written here about them. One thing that really helps is increased air circulation, like a small personal fan.
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I think if you water with chamomile tea a couple times it would probably help too.
Jeff

USDA Zone 7a, Sunset Zone 32.

Failure is only a fact when you give up.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”