gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Getting rid of fungus gnats

So theoretically the fungus gnats will disappear after some time in dry soil. True?

I have some in my tomatoes. I was planning on reusing this soil as a filler with fresh soil for later plantings. If I do indeed let this dry out for some time will ALL the larvae be destroyed?

I just keep getting them back I don't now where they are coming from.

I may just save this soil for outside plants later in the season not for indoor starters and such. Or it may go in the garden/compost. I have several 5 gallon buckets worth so it's not going to waste.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I would just toss the soil into the garden. If you have any house plants they probably have the gnats also.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I would say yes, gixx, let the soil dry then reuse it. I keep all of my plants a little on the dry side and never have fungus gnats. The eggs and larvae require moist conditions to survive. Fungus gnats are, to me, like "No-see-ums". If conditions are right, they're just gonna appear, and you'll never even see the first few adults come around to lay the initial batch of eggs. :roll:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the replies. I just have so many plants this year I am need to recycle my soil a bit. It will all end up in the garden sooner or later.

TheRipeTomato

If they don't disappear, we've found one of the best mechanical methods is the yellow sticky tape. They are attracted to it and you can wipe out nearly all the adults within 2 days.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”