PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

ID on insects

Hi,

Could anyone ID these insects? First one is this moth looking thing. But when it is landed they sorta curl their body. I have a pic, not sure if it is good enough though for ID. Are they good or bad? I see them pretty often. Second is this tiny bee I see around my peppers. They are about a 3rd of the size of honey bees and seem to be interested in the flowers. They look like they have some green metallic look on them. And the 3rd is this insect that looks kind of like a mosquito, maybe it is a mosquito. I heard male mosquitoes drink nectar. But I am still not sure it is a mosquito.

And last is this green caterpillar, not a hornworm, but I think I have ID'ed it on another site that says it is a tomato fruit worm. I been seeing their damage a lot. I have a pic of one of them. What is the best control of these guys??

[img]https://i53.tinypic.com/29mu6mc.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i56.tinypic.com/333zxhe.jpg[/img]

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

only seeing two pictures there, but the middle one I'm not seeing sure sounds like a cuckoo bee. no problems there.

the first is definitely a moth. don't know for sure what kind, and it seems possible that it's the adult of that fruit-worm, if they seem to specifically come around the tomatoes. don't know about specific controls for those, but generally going over the plants and pulling the caterpillars off should help quite a bit...

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I think you are right about the cuckoo bees. I did a google search on adult tomato fruitworm and they don;t look like the pic of my moth. Is there any insect that looks like a mosquito that is found commonly in gardens? If not, then I tihnk they are male mosquitoes. Could they be a problem?

I also been seeing big green june bugs. Every day there is a few buzzing around my backyard. Are they a problem? I know they can lay eggs and their grubs can damage grass etc. I don;t have grass though. What could they be attracted to?

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

male mosquitoes generally look like their person-biting female counterparts, except that the males have big feathery antennae, much more obvious than on the females.

I've got green june beetles in my garden, too...don't think they've disturbed much.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”