sevans2010
Newly Registered

Tomato blight?

I am new to gardening and my tomato plants were big and beautiful. The tomatoes were doing great but now I am noticing the riper they get the less likely they are to be edible. The get a soft spot with a blackish center on the side closest to the ground. Is this early blight? I will try and post pictures tomorrow. Is there anything I can do to save them?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Blossom end rot, usually associated with irregular availability of water. My plants are much more likely to suffer from blossom end rot if in containers, but I have one planting area that is very sandy and dry where blossom end rot is also a common problem. The problem is calcium deficiency but is not usually because of inadequate calcium in the soil as is mostly related to poor absorption due to the water issue. You can add calcium nitrate solution, according to directions, and that gives a boost of both nitrogen and calcium and will very quickly help any newly forming tomatoes. The ones with soft bottoms or brown/black bottoms should be removed and discarded. Some people spray with milk solution. Hydrated lime also gives a quick hit of calcium to the plants and can end the problem. If your soil pH is below 6.5 or so, you may consider adding some pelleted lime to the soil. That both raises the pH to a more acceptable level to the upper 6's and also adds calcium as well.

sevans2010
Newly Registered

Thanks Alex! They are in raised bed so what you said makes sense. I will try your suggestions. Thanks again for your help.

sevans2010
Newly Registered

Thanks Alex! They are in raised bed so what you said makes sense. I will try your suggestions. Thanks again for your help.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”