Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Vinegar infused with garlic for a spray!

I have a bottle of Heinze Garlic Wine Vinegar. I was wondering if I put a few drops in a quart of water if that would work for insects. No muss no fuss quick and easy! What do you think? I am trying it tonight on some plants ! I did not want to add dish detergent so as not to kill good bugs but just chase them away!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

JMO, but I would be hesitant to use vinegar as a pesticide on plants I wanted to keep, since it's a well-known herbicide.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Many things can be herbicides at full strength but at very delute solution I thing it is often used to kill garden insects. I was thinking of using it because the garlic smell is already added.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

But I'm guessing the garlic flavor in vinegar meant for cooking with is pretty low concentration. You can easily make your own garlic-pepper spray which will have higher concentrations of the ingredients you want and not have ingredients you don't want.

Type garlic pepper spray or related terms into Search the Forum and there are a number of recipes posted here.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Be sure and let us know your results, including how much vinegar you used in how much water. Wait a few days and post again on the condition of the plant foliage.

New gardeners: use caution. Most members of this forum use vinegar to kill undesirable weeds, not to kill insects on much-wanted plants.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”