maus

how to make neem oil spray

How do you make neem insect spray would it work better with soap or alone I will be using a 32 ounce spray bottle ( I already have the neem oil its a 1 ounce bottle)
Last edited by maus on Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I buy GreenLight's "[url=https://www.greenlightco.com/products/rosedefense/index.cfm]Rose Defense[/url]" and dilute it according to the label instructions. I'm still working off of a container I purchased a few years ago; I notice that Green Light has additional products available now.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

maus

I already have the neem oil so that wont help me

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

What does the label of your product say?

I've never added soap to the neem. Also, as with other "kills on contact" sprays, it's best to apply neem late in the afternoon or early in the evening to avoid killing honeybees or other pollinators.

Cynthia

maus

Usage rate is one teaspoon Neem Oil per quart or four teaspoons Neem Oil per gallon of water. Add 1 teaspoon of an ecologically friendly dish detergent to a small portion of the water as an emulsifier (also my soap I have already made has 2 teaspoons in it)

maus

so I just sprayed them down and now ill put them out tomorrow to see what will happen because I gave them a nice spray down

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What is the problem you are using the Neem oil for (or against)?

I don't believe Neem oil does kill on contact; it needs to be ingested. That's why it is less harmful to honeybees than other insecticides, since the bees are not leaf eaters.

And unlike spraying poisons, you may not see any immediate results of the Neem oil. After it is ingested, it works by messing up the bugs systems, so they can't eat more or mate, but it kills slowly, mostly I think by the bug starving to death. In case you are opposed to bug torture, you might want to avoid it :) .

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”