PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Tomato Hornworms are attacking!!!

Hi,

I was out in the garden yesterday when I spotted a 3 inch or so green caterpillar blending in very well on one of my tomato plants. Today out in the garden I find about 11-12 more, 1 was on my bell pepper plant.

I figured out a way to spot them better, I notice a small branch that is stripped of leaves and know that a hornworm was there or is still around. They are kinda hard to pick off, I just cut the hold stem off with them attached, then move them to a dirt area of my backyard and cut them in half with the shovel. Then I leave them for the birds.

I got 8 tomato plants and this is the first time dealing with these things. I am going to diligently look for them the next couple days. Can anyone give me some tips to control and get rid of them for good? I am kind of scared they are gonna destroy my garden. How can attract wasps to help kill them? Thanks

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

https://www.farmerfred.com/plants_that_attract_benefi.html

There is a link to some plants there are quite a few. But I find when the hornworm shows up they are soon to follow. I have never had a major problem with them on my tomatoes. They do some damage but my plants are too big the really be hurt by them. However my first time seeing them was a few years back when I noticed an entire jalapeno plant decimated. I lost all my peppers.

Good luck.

Oh yeah I just cut them in half right there on the plant now. It's all fertilizer in the end.

applestar
Mod

If you are finding that many, you should be seeing some with braconid wasp cocoons attached. Don't kill those.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I found 2 more after posting this. And this morning found 5 more. One was HUGE. I think I got most of them. I think the thing with me is I caught them early. They have not done much damage. A few stems here and there missing leaves and that's all. I still think there is some still around though.

I have not seen any with the Wasp cocoons on them yet.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:https://www.farmerfred.com/plants_that_attract_benefi.html

There is a link to some plants there are quite a few. But I find when the hornworm shows up they are soon to follow. I have never had a major problem with them on my tomatoes. They do some damage but my plants are too big the really be hurt by them. However my first time seeing them was a few years back when I noticed an entire jalapeno plant decimated. I lost all my peppers.

Good luck.

Oh yeah I just cut them in half right there on the plant now. It's all fertilizer in the end.
According to the list Fennel, coriander, dill, and parsley are good ones. I have some Dill growing now. maybe I will move it toward the middle of my garden.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”