megany

About to give up, now a plant disease?

After having beaten having a backyard that turns out to have almost no sunlight due to large trees in neighboring yards (solution: plant on side of house where there is sun and no trees), a major drainage problem (solution: french drain), a GROUND HOG (solutions too many too list), and bugs that were eating our plant leaves like crazy...now almost all of my plants are infected with a disease. It's affecting a tree in our yard, our eggplant, our strawberries, and some other plants as well.

It looks fungal -- some of the leaves have fallen off or are starting to die.

Any ideas what it is? I did a google search, but it resembled a number of diseases.

More importantly, how do I save my plants?

[img]https://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w208/cancercrusader/Photoon2011-06-07at1922.jpg[/img]

Thank you so much![/img]

megany

Anyone?

Whatever it is has now taken over my entire strawberry patch as well -- and has almost completely killed the only strawberry plants that had just started to produce strawberries.

applestar
Mod

I don't know the answer, but rather than do nothing, I would spray with Milk Solution at 1 part milk to 3~4 parts dechlorinated water + "whey" (liquid that pools in yogurt) and brew a bucket of AACT (Compost Tea -- see sticky inCompost Forum) and spray at about 1 part AACT to 5~8 parts dechlorinated water. (I would spray at alternate occasions once a week or so)

Generally try to encourage better air circulation by pruning, throw away any diseased foliage you clip off in the trash, raking up fallen leaves as well. Don't water at night or wet the foliage (if it rains, don't fret)

The sprays should be applied on overcast days with no direct sun or near sundown. It's OK if it rains because both sprays are microbial, and they will cling to the foliage on their own after culture forms.

Keep in mind that f you decide to switch to stronger bactericides and fungicides, the beneficial microbes will be destroyed along with the harmful ones.

megany

Thank you! I'll give that a try and will be careful about not watering the foliage.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”