GreenGranolaGirl
Newly Registered

Something is devouring my mint! (pic)

A few days ago I noticed something had started eating my mint. I've looked and watched for pests but I think they must be feasting at night. At the rate they're going my mint will be gone in the next couple of days. I sprinkled some diatomaceous earth around in the soil thinking maybe it was earwigs but whatever it is didn't seem bothered by it. Do I need to sprinkle it on the plant itself? Or is there something else I should try? I've been picking off the holey leaves each morning as a way to monitor it. Any ideas? Here is a picture of a few of the leaves I plucked off:
[img]https://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/x388/GreenGranolaGirl/mint.jpg[/img]

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

It looks like classic slug/snail damage. Diatomaceous earth *can* prevent them from attacking, but if they're already on the plant--or the eggs are!--the damage will occur anyway. :( Look again tonight, and be sure to look underneath the leaves with a flashlight for these destroyers of plants.

Good luck.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

MaggieHopland
Newly Registered

I think previous post re slugs/snails is on target. You also might try: pulling back mulch and hunting under/around plant and handpicking them where they're hiding in the daytime. Lastly, I've made up my mind that I'm going to try a light vinegar/water spray on my own slugs. I won't soak the soil, just spray leaves (both sides) lightly; I'm estimating about 3 Tbls./gal.

shadylane
Green Thumb

Heard that slugs are attracted to beer. They crawl inside a low edge dish, and drink them selfs to death or in a drown. It's easy, just lay them under your plants and give it a check in the morning hours.

Also said that some copper layment works, gives the slugs a volt shock. I never tried any of these garden tricks so can't say they work out well.

The best advice that I could give would to look into obtaining toads, I have seen a huge decline in insects since we made them a part of our yard buddies. They eat slugs, worms and June beetles. One young little toad sits under the light at night and eats those that fall to the ground..that little toad is thinking.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

^keep in mind, with the ol' beer lure trap, that they are drawn to beer - sometimes from quite a distance. it's definitely possible to bring more slugs into a garden through this 'trap' than the traps itself will kill.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

keep in mind, with the ol' beer lure trap, that they are drawn to beer - sometimes from quite a distance. it's definitely possible to bring more slugs into a garden through this 'trap' than the traps itself will kill.
This is true, and around my area, it's recommended that beer traps be placed about 4 to 6 feet away from the plants you want to protect. Even so, slugs and snails take cover in dark moist places during the daylight hours. If they choose a cover spot near the plant, they'll most likely go to it, instead of the beer.

You can dispose of a number of the pests simply by placing scrap wood, overturned flowerpot saucers, and other flat items on the ground. Sometime during the day, turn the items over and collect the slugs and snails for disposal. :)

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

My mint plant is getting attacked too. But it is just a few holes here and there or a half eaten leaf. I think they are slugs or snails cause I see a slime trail on the leaves sometimes.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”