kahuna_ashley
Newly Registered

Need help ID'ing bell pepper problem

I live in North-Central Florida and the heat of summer has arrived! I have a sweet bell pepper plant that I got as a small transplant from a local farmer's market 2 months ago. I re-potted it into a larger pot with some bagged organic potting soil upon getting it home, and it's been growing steadily since then. I water only when the soil starts to look dry (every few days or so), and I'm constantly checking to make sure it's not TOO dry.

Starting about a month after I potted it, I noticed a series of miniscule, pale, yellow-green "dots" that were literally inside the leaf tissue of several of the leaves. I had already successfully warded off some aphids using garlic powder, but I was concerned that they were some other type of bugs or eggs that I couldn't identify (as my tomatoes were suffering from leaf miners at the same time), so I kept an eye on them... but the dots never moved, got bigger, shrunk, spread or did ANYTHING for that matter. To this day, they're still there. I haven't had a bug problem otherwise with my pepper plant, and I check on it daily to be sure.

About 2 weeks ago, I also noticed the leaves were starting to develop a "dirty" appearance. Concerned that it was fungal or mites, I went to the local nursery and got some organic "Safer 3-in-1" brand fungicide/insecticide/miticide and sprayed the plant. I also bought some general organic fertilizer (Espoma Plant Tone) to fertilize the soil and did so according to package directions. Several days later, the "dirty" appearance of the leaves got even worse (although I'm not sure if it's directly related to the spray or fertilizer, as the plant's problem may have already been on that path regardless). The dirty stuff does not come off with rubbing or water, so I do not think it's fungal (not to mention I've sprayed the plant with fungicide). The edges of the larger, older leaves are starting to really curl inward/upward, and the oldest ones at the bottom turn yellow and drop off periodically. Any new foliage that grows in at the top of the plant usually grows in twisted, deformed, and sometimes even completely upside down. Otherwise, new growth appears vibrantly green and healthy (until the "dirty" stuff starts showing up on those leaves, too). The plant has never borne any buds or flowers (except 2 buds once, that fell off 2 short days after forming).

Since fertilizing, the plant has lots of new, green growth on top, and I think I even see some buds starting up again. But again - everything's all gnarled and twisted, and the plant just looks dirty and unhealthy down below.

At this point, with no insects present on the plant - and having also researched TMV and CMV, and knowing the symptoms do not match what's wrong with my plant - I think I've narrowed my problem down to either a bacterial infection, or severe nutrient deficiencies (although I thought fertilizer would fix that and it doesn't seem to have done so? Or maybe I just haven't waited long enough to see results, or I'm not using the right fertilizer?). In any case... I've posted about 5 pictures of my plant's initial growth and current decline in progress (with some close-ups of the dirty leaves) at https://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h397/kahuna_ashley/Sweet%20Bell%20Pepper%20Plant/ if that helps.

If anyone cares to take a look at the pictures, now knowing the history of my efforts - and you have ANY helpful advice as to what might be the problem or how I might be able to fix it, I'd be greatly appreciative!! :? I've done so much research and would consider myself a pretty proficient internet sleuth when it comes to figuring stuff out on my own - but this one's got me stumped. Thanks for reading my long post! :)
Last edited by kahuna_ashley on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

thebigtomato

Hello kahuna_ashley,

I was looking thru your pictures and one thing that did struck me was the size of your container. often when a plant gets root-bound it will show signs that resemble bug or disease infestation but it could be as simple as re-potting to a larger container. just a thought, hope that helps. Cheers!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

As best as I can tell from your pics, it looks as if you may, indeed, have a bug problem. Mites, would be my guess. Have you noticed any small, fine webbing on the plant? If so, then it's probably red spider mites, but there are many other species.

That "dirtiness" you speak of could be either damage from the mites (they suck the sap from the plant), or it could be sooty mildew, which grows on the excrement of the mites. Mite infestations are difficult to spot, because the mites themselves are so very tiny. They typically cause the symptoms you describe, though, such as bud drop and misshapen new growth.

Your insecticidal soap should work well to eliminate the problem, but it must be applied thoroughly, until the plant is dripping, and it must be reapplied every 5 to 7 days, to kill any new hatchlings. When you spray, be careful to spray from every direction, so both sides of the leaves are well coated, and the stems are covered on all sides. Four to five treatments should eliminate the infestation.

Even if it isn't mites, this treatment will clear your plant of an infestation of any soft-bodied insects. You should also examine your plant for scale insects, another common cause of sooty mildew. They look like little stationary bumps on the stems and undersides of the leaves. Since they don't move, they are often mistaken as being a part of the plant, rather than an insect pest. Insecticidal soap will not kill the adults, only the juveniles. If you find these insects on your plant, we can talk about how to eradicate them in another post. :)

I don't think the plant looks like it needs repotting at this time. The symptoms you described aren't typical of a root-bound plant, anyway. Do not fertilize your plant until the new growth comes in looking healthy. Sick plants don't do well with fertilizer. It just makes things worse.

HTH! :)

kahuna_ashley
Newly Registered

No miniscule webbing to be found, and absolutely no bumps or anything on the bottom of the leaves, which is why I had thought that my plant was fairly pest-free. I have been applying the insecticidal soap for about 2 or 3 weeks now, exactly as you described (I did some research beforehand to make sure I was doing everything right - plus I had considered the fact that maybe it was spider mites). BUT the dirtiness is still there. I will continue the spray every week, though, in the hopes that perhaps it was just mites or scale and that now I'm starting to gain some control over the issue... The only bug I have seen on my plant was a few nights ago when I stopped to check on it when I came home from work. I positively identified him as a Colorado Potato beetle - little bugger! - but he was all by himself... and since it had been about a week since I had last sprayed the plant with the insecticidal soap, I immediately grabbed the spray and thoroughly doused the plant right then and there. Even though the soap is meant for soft-bodied insects, the label says it helps in killing leaf-feeding beetles. Plus, I don't think he returned after that (I checked on it a few more times that night).

No more older leaves have turned yellow and died on the bottom of the plant - so perhaps the fertilizer application helped out in the nutrient department. I also added some used coffee grounds to the soil a few days ago for an extra nitrogen boost. But I haven't done any new fertilizing, and I don't plan to until I see progress in healthy growth, per your suggestion.

However - now my upper, new leaves - which were beautiful and green before - are starting to turn yellow in the tissue and stay bright green in the veins. I've read that this might be due to an iron, potassium or even zinc deficiency, or that the soil pH might be too alkaline for the plant to take up any available iron in the soil. But coffee acidifies soil, so I'm not sure how that wouldn't have done anything besides help?

I also had given the buds that are starting to set a spray with some Mg/water solution for some "liquid encouragement" (and then again a week later one more time), since the only other blossoms I ever saw the plant grow before ended up dropping off two days later. So far so good with the new blossoms!

I have also considered that the new issues I'm seeing are due to the plant being overwatered lately, as I watered the plant the other day when it was dry and needed it, only to discover that we'd had a torrential downpour overnight and the next morning the plant was thoroughly soaked again. This has happened to me a handful of times over the last few weeks (but not too terribly often), as summer has all but officially started in my area of Florida. Could that be the cause of the new discoloration of my younger leaves, or is it more likely to be pests or nutrient deficiencies?

New pictures of the discolored leaves, some weirdly shaped "round" leaves that have grew in, and the buds on the plant, can be found here: https://s1107.photobucket.com/albums/h397/kahuna_ashley/Sweet%20Bell%20Pepper%20Plant/

Thanks for all the advice, guys! I'm TRULY appreciative and learning so much as a new gardener each and every day. :)

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”