Rogue11

Working Pest control

This morning when I went in the garden to grab some herbs, I noticed several black insects on my sunflower leaves. If I would have to guess I would say they looked like thrips. But since I wasn't positive I was planning on taking some pictures later and post them here. However by noon, when I found time to get out my camera the problem seemed to have been taken care off. No more black insects only a baby praying mantis patrolling the sunflower plant. A short time later I found a second one on one of my eggplants. :)
Since I had my camera in hand already I figured I might as well snap some portraits.

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h317/Bailey1048/DSCN0475.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h317/Bailey1048/DSCN0474.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

Garden Patrol -- Don't you just love them!?

I have a few Praying Mantis ooths (egg cases) around my garden so the babies will be on the job when it gets hot around here too. 8)

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Really cool. I see some of them sometimes around my house.

miagardener

Very cool! Thanks for sharing. Looks like the baby mantis took care of the little black bugs, huh? :)
My Mom bought them and has them in her garden now, I am moving soon and plan to get some myself for my new home & garden. :)

Rogue11

After two weeks the little guy on the sunflower is still there, and doing a good job taking care of the bugs. Last week I had to replace the stake because the plant had outgrown the 3 foot one. As I did Manty (yes I named the little bugger) jumped down into the herbs below. I was sure I wouldn't see it again, but the next morning it was back on the top leaves of the sunflower like always.
It's fun to watch it grow. I never had a praying mantis that would stick around on a single plant for so long. But then again it's a giant sunflower, about 4 feet high right now, providing food and shelter and a lot of hiding places.

SPierce
Greener Thumb

AWESOME praying mantis' photos! I can only hope and pray (pun intended) that I end up with a few in my garden!

miagardener

Have any of you ever bought the Praying Mantis pods? My Mom did one year and has them come back every year since. :)

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”