speedster7926

sand gnats/no-seeums

my wife hats it here and wants to move because of these pests and we have property that we are about to build a house on do bug zappers work on these guys or what else can I do they run you off before the sun comes up and at about 4pm till next morning I need help

applestar
Mod

I can't say for sure that this works because fresh lemons can get expensive here so I never tried, but try looking up lemon and Rosemary home made bug repellent.

I did a thorough search for organic home made repellents a few years go, and that one came up a few times. It's essentially whole lemon slices and Rosemary, boiling water and steeped until cool.

I couldn't begin to appreciate the much higher level of bug population compared to where I live, but I would think bug zappers would be counterproductive since it would indiscriminately kill all bugs attracted to/trapped by the device, including predators that would have eliminated the pests.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Totally forget bug zappers. They won't do anything to the no-see-ums, and they actually attract other bugs.

Have you tried Skin-so-soft? Ask anyone, Avon rep or not. It's probably the #1 protection against no-see-ums on Florida's coastline. Personally, I hate the stuff, but will still wear it when these pests are at their worst. It's a bath oil that you just wipe on your skin to deter biting insects. On Sanibel, I mostly just was in and out of knee deep water to keep them from pestering me too much.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I bought a Skeeter Vac last year and it worked amazingly!

It runs on propane and attracts them to the sticky wrapping. I have a stream on my property and woods around the edges. On the wrapping we first got the early black flies, then deer flies, then mosquitoes and finally no-see-ums. By the end of summer we had killed most breeding females and we had no issues being outside. I highly recommend this product. We went through almost 2 tanks of fuel I even had a faulty valve and the company sent me a new Skeeter Vac for free.

speedster7926

where did you buy this skeeter vac and how much was it?

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I got mine at northlineexpress.com. I got the 1/2 acre model and it was under $200. I googled it and it seems like most are out of that model right now.

growin' stuff

I also use SSS. Mix half SSS original bath oil with half water in a spray bottle. Shake well before spraying. If the bugs are really bad use more oil/less water. If you don't like SSS, there are other "not so toxic" insect repellents you can use.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”