Dr.greenthumb
Newly Registered

Insect problem & white mildew on soil?

Hey HG,
In the past couple days I have noticed that something has been eating some leaves off my cantaloupe and basil. also on about 3 of my plants in containers there is a white mold looking substance that is on the top of the soil. I have 3 different potting soils; Fox farm Ocean forest, miracle grow, and miracle grow organic. it seems to be only on the miracle grow soils. please let me know how I can get rid of these pests and mildew. all organic methods are preferred.
Thanks!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'm not HG, but I'll chime in anyway. :)

The first thing to do would be to identify the critter that's chewing on your plants. Most likely, it's either some kind of caterpillar, or slugs or snails. (I didn't notice where you are located, but in my area, it would be slugs and snails, since it's too early in the season for caterpillars.)

Anyway, I recommend that you take a flashlight and examine your plants after dark. I would go out around 11-ish. That's when slugs, snails and caterpillars are most active. Once you have identified the pest, it will be easier to decide on the best treatment. :)

I'll leave the soil issue for others to address. :)

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”