kimbledawn

ROOT MAGGOTS!!

I finally finished planting my onions last week and the bulbs that I planted about three weeks ago started loosing their tops. I pulled a few and they had tiny maggots hanging on them. What can I do :evil: :twisted: :evil: I have four 3X4 beds of onions but I don't want those buggers to eat them all. Do you guys have any help for me :!:

nedwina

Google "onion maggots" (yes, that's what they're called, LOL.) They're a fly larva. So they're tough to address immediately. If you can get your hands on some, wood ash sprinkled about can help. Or use yellow sticky traps to catch the adults.

Or you could try spraying bt var israelensis mixed with sugar water & cover with row covers: https://www.nysipm.cornell.edu/reports/ann_rpt/ar98/onion_mag.asp

Bt israelensis is in those mosquito donuts. You could soak for a few days and then strain & spray.

nedwina

Actually I'm going to take back the sticky traps recommendation- they'll also catch tiny parasitoid wasps that can be handy- especially for onion maggots!

kimbledawn

Thanks you guys. I sprinkled the wood ash and kopefully that works but I see the parent flies hanging around our fruit trees. I will try the soil soak next :evil:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

but I see the parent flies hanging around our fruit trees
Please ID these flies thoroughly. Mason Bees (orchard bees) look like flies, you sure wouldn't want to kill them.

Eric

kimbledawn

Thanks! I looked up what the parents look like so that I would know. They also hang on the fruit trees in the evening. I know they aren't bees.

NorthernGardener88

I know this reply is a little late but...
My mother taught me that when you plant onions, if you plant them all over the garden, and at least 3 feet from eachother, they wont get maggots. It is also helpful to put a little newspaper around the base of the onion shoots so they can't lay their eggs,(but not practical if you have a huge garden.)
hope this helpful to someone, works for me!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”