JC
Newly Registered

Spider Mites inthe Greenhouse

Hello all,
We live in Central Oregon, dry and hot summers, last year we brought in some tomato plants and before we knew it they were infested with spider mites!! :x
As we look to garden/greenhouse season 2011, we are looking for sugestions on how to control the rascals. I plan on removing EVERYTHING from the greenhouse, pots, soil, EVERYTHING. but I have read the can infest the cracks in the walls, grrrrr.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

lorax
Greener Thumb

The easiest way around spider mites is simply to raise the humidity in the greenhouse. Above about 60% humidity, they don't enjoy themselves, and they simply cease to be a problem - they leave.

You can also systemically spray your greenhouse with soapy water solution - that will kill any adult mites - repeat weekly for three weeks, and you'll be mite-free.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

There are also [url=https://www.arbico-organics.com/product/Phytoseiulus-persimilis-Mite-Predator]mites that like to eat mites[/url]that may be of benefit to you... I love predators because antelopes never get resistant to lions...

But Lorax is sure right about the humidity being a good way to make sure they don't show up in the first place... most don't like it moist. Not a fool-proof cure, but a good preventitive...

HG

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”