lilcee

Can't get rid of worms on sweet potato plants

My sweet potatoes are growing good with the exception of the worms eating the leaves. Will that hurt the tubers?
I've tried neem and also some BT dust but they are taking over. Today I went and knocked some off into a container of soapy water. One leaf had 14 worms on it. It's hard seeing all the leaves getting eaten and I can't find them all. Is there something else I can try or is this the best way to get rid of them? I'm going out tomorrow and knock off some more.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It would not hurt the tubers if a few leaves were nibbled on here and there. But it sounds like you are talking major infestation. If there is a lot of damage to the leaves, that will make a difference; the leaves are what feed the tubers.

If you've tried neem and Bt already the only other thing I can think to suggest (that doesn't involve poison on your food plants) is diatomaceous earth. Most crawling things are vulnerable to it.

If you post pictures of them, maybe someone here will be able to identify them and then we can figure out if there is a particular parasite for them or other way to deal with them.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”