Brand D NATURALS

leaf footed bug and stink bug deterent?

Here I am again with my pest problems. I am still having problems with leaf footed bugs and green stink bugs mostly on my legumes. They have ruined several plantings of different varieties of field peas and green beans. I just planted several new rows of pink-eye peas and butter bean in rows where my corn was harvested. Are there any flowers or herbs that will grown in this heat and humidity that I can plant among these new seedlings to discourage the bugs from migrating over to them. I have been hand picking daily and have left several rows and sq ft garden areas planted with the ruined peas so the escapees will have something to munch on. I also have thousands of assassin bugs that seem to be helping, but nothing is stopping the damage. I am only able to save about 20% of my harvest, which isn't enough for one meal :x . There is only a maximum of 100ft from one end of my garden to the other, so it is very easy for them to fly right on over.

Any suggestions to protect this new planting would be appreciated. This is my last chance this summer to get some peas for supper. -wall-

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Tell us what you have tried other than handpicking.

Here's the thread where I responded to your question before:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=107130&highlight=stink+bug#107130

Things that are recommended against them include Surround (kaolin clay), insecticidal soaps, insecticides. Organic insecticides include the pyrethrins and Organocide, which is a commercial sesame oil and fish emulsion mixture. Use the Organocide with care, try it on one plant first. I read on line a customer comment saying the Organicide killed the mites they had, but it also killed the tomato plants. I don't see why it would, but who knows what the "inert" ingredients in it are. You could make up your own homemade without the 90% inert ingredients.

Anything which clogs an insect's spiracles (breathing tubes) will kill it. I once came upon a big ugly waterbug in the bathroom and killed it by spraying it with shaving cream, which is what was handy at the time. I have no idea what the effects on your plants or the environment of spraying shaving cream around would be :), but you get the idea...

Brand D NATURALS

I have tried soapy water spray made with dish washing liquid. Hot pepper and garlic spray as well as Neem oil once. I hesitate to use the Neem oil much especially with the temperature being above 100 degrees daily with mostly sunny conditions. Won't the oil burn the plants in this extreme heat and sunshine? Also hate to kill other beneficial insects.
Spot spraying each bug would be my preference, but those green stink bugs have such excellent camouflage.

Brand D NATURALS

I looked up kaolin clay and it looks like just the thing I need, but would I be able to spray it while the peas are blooming? That is when the stink bugs do their damage to the pods, after they begin to form. If I could cover the pods with kaolin, that would probably help. The peas continue to bloom over a period of weeks as the new pods are growing, so if I spray the pods, I will be spraying the blossom also. Won't the bees be discouraged from pollinating?

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”