Scarecrow

White Spots On Cucumber Leaves

My cucumber leaves have white spots on the leaves!

[url=https://qhfbpw.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pg7-KLsLDZ_UKyuiqh192FZlstHt_idfjH0qfBW58LMgZa4FmQw7nJyGORtA1elRaxC7vDd3TNDmZL6IAbK0uz7I3FezbEiNG/Cucumber%20Spots-2_DSC4545.jpg?psid=1]White spots on cucumber leaves![/url]

Searching the net it seems to be identified as powdery mildew. So far only a few plants are affected so I'm sure it will spread.
I sprayed last week with neem to battle the few squash beetles that I have visiting. I was supposed to spray again this past Monday which is the 7 day interval but we had a pop up shower which wet the leaves. Pop up showers arrived on Tuesday and Wednesday again leaving the leaves wet. I wanted the leaves to be dry when applying neem.

Will neem take care of the powdery mildew?
Are the fruits ok to comsume?

Additional info:
These pickling cucumbers were planted from seeds which were purchased from a local garden center and have been healthy and producing fruit just fine. It has been very hot and humid here with the temps from the lower 90's to 99 with the heat index up to 110. The plants were planted about 20 feet from wooded areas.

Thanks,
Scarecrow

Thomas CA

Fruits are edible.

Powdery Mildew is a fungus infection. It usually occurs when the foliage is wet and in damp comditions where there's high temperatures/humidity.

Neem will not correct this.

There are sprays on the market for fungus or you can make your own using water and baking soda in a spray bottle (10-1 ratio I believe - a search on the forum will clarify). Just make sure to hit all the leaves...top and bottom, and do this during the coolest part of the day when the sun isn't out...about once a week until cleared up.

Anna63

I had problems with powdery mildew too. Fungicides helped for me:)

Scarecrow

Thanks Thomas and Anna for your comments!

Thomas,
Why wouldn't neem oil work?
Here is a description on the net for 70% neem oil which I what I have on hand.
Recommended for organic gardens, 70% Neem Oil offers excellent control of a number of insect pests and diseases such as black spot, powdery mildew, rust, twig and tip blight, spider mites, aphids, and whiteflies just to name a few. Simply mix with water and spray it on flowers, shrubs, trees, herbs, vegetables and fruits. It's a broad spectrum insecticide, fungicide, and miticide that's listed by the Organic Materials Review Institute (OMRI) for safe indoor/outdoor use. Comes with easy to follow mixing and application instructions for effective, timely control of insect pests and diseases. 1 pt container.

Anna,
What did you spray with?
Last edited by Scarecrow on Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas CA

hmmmm, wow, I guess I always thought of neem oil only as a pesticide. I was never aware of it's effectivness against diseases as well (never used the stuff myself-I'm cheap and use whatever is laying around the house lol).

But hey! If the instructions say so, go for it!

My bad! :wink:

Anna63

I sprayed with fungicide called - Amistar.

Scarecrow

Thomas,
No need for any apology at all as that was my train of thought also.
I'm going to give it a try. Thanks Thomas [img]https://bestsmileys.com/flowers/7.gif[/img]

Anna,
I've never used Amistar before but it sounds like powerful stuff since you can only use it three times per season. Thanks Anna

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”