C00KiE46

Can I use this neem oil?

It says 70% neem. I want my garden to be fully organic. Would this be ok?

ooops forgot to put the link :oops:

[url=https://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=hdus&catalogId=10053&productId=202043608&navFlow=3&keyword=neem+oil&langId=-1&searchRedirect=neem+oil&storeId=10051&endecaDataBean=com.homedepot.sa.el.wc.integration.endeca.EndecaDataBean%4069e856c4&ddkey=THDStoreFinder]neem oil[/url]

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

A very useful skill is figuring out how to extract as much information as possible from the picture provided by Home De(s)pot. Or whoever is offering a product you think you might use, but aren't sure about.

I clicked on the picture and got the first enlargement. I could make out "OMRI ... [something]." That was encouraging, so I clicked again for a second enlargement.

This time, I could read "OMRI Listed." That's good news for organic gardeners. :)

However...and this is a big deal with me due to personal history *and* recent history in northern California...70% of this product is "clarified neem oil..." extracted by the light of a full moon by who knows what purified devotees of some self-abnegating sect. Or something. :wink:

But what's in the other 30%? Evidently, OMRI didn't feel it was necessary for us, the regular users, to worry about that. :x There's no indication on the label as to what the other 30% of the product is made from.

OK. That, and a few more tidbits, can be extracted from viewing the product label.

There are tabs available at the webpage you provided which offer additional information. Click on them to see what's available; you'll eventually get to one which offers you the MSDS in downloadable PDF format. YES!!! :D Good stuff!

If you're not used to reading an MSDS, take some time to learn how; your efforts will be greatly rewarded. MSDS = Material Safety Data Sheet; almost every chemical or chemical product sold in the United States is required to have one of these on file. The Internet has made the MSDS available to us regular gardeners, which is incredibly advanced vs. what the situation was like pre-Internet. (I'll probably never know for sure just which chemicals drove me out of chemistry lab in college and changed my life forever....it was my love and my original declared major. :( )

The goods are there, but finding them takes a few minutes (well, now that I'm used to it...) of digging. Give yourself a little while the first few times.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

If it has an OMRI Seal, I am not the least bit concerned about the other 30%. It too is organic...

HG

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

You and I (and a few others) have been over this ground before, but new members aren't going to dig back through the posts to rehash the discussion. Let me therefore lay bare even more details than previously.

Undeclared ingredients may or may not bring on health reactions in susceptible people, regardless of their "organic, pure as the driven snow" pedigree. There are several perfectly wonderful, wholesome foods that will bring on a migraine in sensitive people: walnuts, pineapples, avocadoes, citrus fruits. I personally react to walnuts. Other people may develop contact dermatitis, asthma, or other conditions due to undeclared ingredients, even in OMRI-listed products.

When the question of inhaled vapors arises, the situation gets really complex, and I need to know what's in something to know whether

1) I can use it in the garden myself, or
2) DH can use it in the garden but I maintain a cordon sanitaire, or
3) DH can use it in the garden but I have to stay in the house, or
4) We can't use it at all.

An additional 30% chance of getting a migraine, when simply being outdoors itself (glare from reflections--the hat and sunglasses don't mitigate this aspect) is a strong risk, is a "Nein, danke!" situation.

Cynthia

C00KiE46

cynthia_h wrote: If you're not used to reading an MSDS, take some time to learn how; your efforts will be greatly rewarded. MSDS = Material Safety Data Sheet; almost every chemical or chemical product sold in the United States is required to have one of these on file. The Internet has made the MSDS available to us regular gardeners, which is incredibly advanced vs. what the situation was like pre-Internet.
Gosh there's a lot of stuff I need to learn from gardening and this is one of them :? Do they sell 100% neem?

applestar
Mod

You can get some geography, biology, and social studies/culture lessons over here:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28428&highlight=

:lol:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

[url=https://www.soapgoods.com/Neem-Oil-p-753.html]100% Neem Oil...[/url]

[url=https://www.extremelygreen.com/Product.cfm?Name=Neem%20Oil%20%28100%25%20pure%29]Some more...[/url]

HG

C00KiE46

^^^ Thanks for the links :D I'm gonna get some.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”