Brand D NATURALS

Help save my butterbeans!

I have a square foot garden and have lost several different types of field peas to the stink bugs and leaf footed bugs. I have managed to get the infestation somewhat under control, but I am now having problems with my butterbeans which have just begun to put on small pods. The bean pods seem to grow for a couple of days, and then wilt, dry up, and fall off. The foliage of the plants looks healthy and even though I still have some insect problems, there doesn't seem to be any signs of the butterbean pods having been bitten as there were with the other peas. I wonder if something else is going on. I have made sure the area has been regularly watered, especially since the plants began to bloom. Any thoughts on the subject? I really was hoping to have butterbeans in my freezer this winter.

applestar
Mod

I had similar problems with Broadbeans earlier, in spring. The problem, I believe, stemmed from aphid infestation (black bean aphids). With mine, in addition to physical damage, I think the aphids transmitted a disease, the name of which escapes me at the moment, and the affected plants declined rapidly.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I would try feeding the plants. I have learned just this year, that legumes really do need nitrogen! Amazing huh?

So, I added some wood ashes, bone meal, and fish meal as a side dressing, and actually got a few peas for a change. I need to add, I only grew 2 rows that were 4' long, because I didn't have alot of peas since I know that I can't grow them, but keep trying to. I bet there were 6-8 peas on every vine, which is a first for me.

I am learning to feed legumes, mine did like that, grow look good but never form pods, until I started feeding them.
What have you fed them? Even manure side dressed will help.

Brand D NATURALS

Thanks for the suggestions. I do have an aphid problem on some of my other field peas with an army of ladybugs working hard to keep them in check. I will examine the butterbeans more closely to make sure I haven't overlooked any. I did spray them with soapy water a few days ago because of the leaf foot and stink bugs. That did seem to help cut down on their numbers.
I have been so busy combating bugs, I haven't thought much about needing to feed the beans. I guess since the foliage looks so healthy and dark green, I assumed there was no need to worry. I will break out the worm castings and sidedress them asap. I hope it's not too late. At least I can still replant for another week or so since we have an extended growing season here. Maybe I will get a second chance at success this year if I can't save the ones I have now. Your ideas will surely help make my future attempts more productive.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”