lilcee

Worms are taking over my garden

This is the first year in years that I decided to have a garden. I'm trying to make it as organic as possible. It started out good and I have had lots of squash to eat and freeze. But, now the worms seem to be taking over. I've noticed them in the ends of the squash is left and also on my beans. I think my garden is about done for this season. It may be too late to help it now but I want to plant a Fall garden. What can I do to keep the worms from eating my new garden when it's time to plant?
I've heard nemotoids (sp?) are good. Does anyone use them and where do you get them? Also, what is the milk mixture I've seen other people talking about? I also have some kind of fungus on my plants.
I'm determaned to have a good garden lol.

I know I need to get rid of the worm infested plants, should I spray something on the soil before I plant again?
Thanks for any help.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I went out and hand-picked lots of worms, yesterday.
I plan to spray with Bt today.
Usually worms are not in your soil, although grubs and some cutworms do live there and are sneaky. But moths and butterflies lay eggs that hatch into them.
I see you are in Florida, I would spray, and hand-pick. Then if some crops are just destroyed, pull them out, bag them up to not let the worms mature, and then, plant again, we have months till frost.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The milk mixture is to treat the fungal conditions.

lilcee

Thanks. The BT you mentioned, is that Bacillus thuringiensis? I'll see if I can find some.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”