microcollie
Green Thumb

A few observations about japanese beetles

#1. Four years ago, in an attempt to cut down on the time and energy put into lawn maintenance, I removed a big section of grass (there goes the energy savings) and replaced it with thyme. Didn't have any intention to cut down on japanese beetles, but it doesn't need mowing, is drought tolerant, and is just beginning to be a sea of purple. I've yet to find a grub living there. When I dig into my grassy lawn, they're plentiful.
#2. I almost never have to remove any beetles from shadier spots in my garden.
#3. A few years ago, I did a mojor overhaul and removed several plants that were JB magnets, except in those sectoins of my property where I allow them to go about their lives undisturbed. A couple potentillas, an oakleaf hydrangea, and a big birch tree (unknown variety, but every year it was completely defoliated by the end of July) were the first to go.
#4. A couple climbing roses I spared. They bloom before the beetles arrive. I tend to just let the beetles do as they will with them. Last year, a William Baffin was the only thing to sustain any real damage, but it looked better than ever this year. I mixed clematis in with the roses to hide the eaten foliage in the summer.

It seems that since we're in constant battle with the beetles, coming up with strategies that will deter them from arriving in the first place might be a solution.
Anyone else have any further tips on how to stop the problem BEFORE it starts?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well, it helps some to treat the lawn with milky spore for the grubs. However, since the adults can fly in from elsewhere, this only makes a big difference if the neighbors would get together and all do it.

Intersperse aromatic plants through your garden: marigold, radishes, mint, garlic, onion, tansy, and other aromatics (presumably including the thyme you mentioned) help repel them.

Plant trap crops... I apparently inadvertently did this. I have wild grape vine proliferating in some shrubs and left it there. When it bloomed, it seemed like every JB in the neighborhood was there. I wasn't seeing them anywhere else in my garden, so I guess the grapevine worked well to keep them away from other stuff.

Live with them. The adults are only around a few weeks of the year. If they aren't doing major damage, then don't stress... Hand pick them off if you are seeing too many, especially on your food plants, and drown them in soapy water.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”