cbar

Bug ID please!

I think I've dealt with the caterpillars and squash bugs by using Neem and manually removing them. Everything looks well except this one leaf on my zucchini.

Today I saw a couple of these critters on the one bad leaf. I proceeded to remove it and toss it on the compost pile.

Would someone let me know what this bug is and if it is detrimental?

Thanks much!
[img]https://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh99/cbar851/DSC_0002-2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh99/cbar851/DSC_0001-2.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

Striped Cucumber Beetle. There are Spotted kind too. Once they start on your cucurbits, they can spread mildew disease, so definitely begin your 10% Milk Solution regimen.

They are quick little buggers and scuttle/hide under the leaves. Catch and squish or drop in soapy water. That leaf was pretty far gone and right to remove but usually, remove the bug, not the leaf. :wink:

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Man o man! I HATE these bugs. I agree they are fast little devils. IMO, the stripped ones are faster than the spotted one. My best method of attack is to smack them out of the air onto the ground and Stomp em :twisted: They fly away when I try to grab and crush. When they hit the ground, they are stunned just long enough to step on them.

cbar

applestar wrote:Striped Cucumber Beetle. There are Spotted kind too. Once they start on your cucurbits, they can spread mildew disease, so definitely begin your 10% Milk Solution regimen.

They are quick little buggers and scuttle/hide under the leaves. Catch and squish or drop in soapy water. That leaf was pretty far gone and right to remove but usually, remove the bug, not the leaf. :wink:
Thanks, tell more about this milk solution. 10% of what?

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

I only have the spotted variety, and they don't have a chance against my quick hands. Here's a picture of a spotted beetle that was taken in my garden 2 years ago...

[img]https://i46.tinypic.com/33a3txl.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

[quote="cbar"]

Thanks, tell more about this milk solution. 10% of what?[/quote

10% milk, the rest water, if you are doing it preventatively. If you are treating an existing condition can be up to 50% milk.

Type milk solution into Search the Forum and you will get 11 pages of listings many with explicit instructions.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

I only have the spotted variety, and they don't have a chance against my quick hands. Here's a picture of a spotted beetle that was taken in my garden 2 years ago...
HAHA! I hesitate :oops: Cause something in my brain still says "ewwwwwwwwwwww...bug". But...I override and squish, because it has to be done.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No way in the world I could bring myself to squish a beetle with my bare hands. I squish aphids that way just fine, but something about the crunch-squish is just tooooo gross! But if you bring a bowl of soapy water (in this case detergent is just fine, since it isn't going on your plants) and throw them in, all you have to do is the grab part, not the squish part.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

As much as I hate the bugs... I want nothing to suffer... If my fate were to be death by squishing or death by slowly drowning in dawn dish soap... I would, hands down, pick the squish ;)

I know... They're just bugs...

I just don't have it in me to use my bare hands... The mere thought of live things crunching under finger pressure us enough to make me faint. :wink:

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”