gruvychic
Newly Registered

Trouble with earwigs pill bugs

This is my second year with a veggie garden. I have a 20x4 raised bed. This year I've developed an earwig problem. They're all over in my lettuce. The only thing I've done different is I tried mulching with straw this year as I read it helps maintaining moisture. Could that have caused the earwigs to move in? The straw has also seemed to create a grass like weed problem as well. I'm wondering if I should remove it. And if I don't mulch with straw, what should I use...or should I have put newspaper down first.

As for the earwigs, what do I do for those. I've done some googling and read beer traps, rolled up wet newspaper and pieces of hose. Any luck with any of this? Other suggestions.

I also seem to have a significant number of pill bugs. Do I need to worry about these? If so, what do I use.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Rainbowgardener posted some very interesting information about earwigs in [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26709]this thread[/url]. It might be helpful to you.

Pill bugs, also called Wood Lice, primarily feed on decaying vegetation. They will sometimes feed on young seedlings and other tender vegetation, however. You might enjoy reading Wikipedia's entry about them [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodlouse]here[/url].
Last edited by Kisal on Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Roly-polies love to hang out in compost piles, which makes sense, because they eat dead vegetation (= detritovore).

They're not a threat to your seedlings and other plants.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

gruvychic
Newly Registered

so what about the straw? Do you think I should remove it?

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”