hulahali711
Newly Registered

Powdery Mildew

Last year we had trouble with powdery mildew killing our cucumbers and zucchini towards the end of the growing season. Thankfully, we got decent crops, but I'd like to try to avoid it all together this season. I try to grow as organically as possible...I have a child and bunnies in the yard so I stay away from chemicals unless absolutely necessary. I've read on the internet to try baking soda and also sprinkle corn meal in the soil. Anyone try these remedies with success or have any other suggestions that have worked??? Thanks, Holly

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Never heard about corn meal on the soil...

The baking soda solution is one we recommend for fungal conditions.

Other options are a 50-50 solution of milk and water or undiluted 3% hydrogen peroxide (like you get at the drugstore).

In all of these cases be sure you spray tops and undersides of the leaves. It helps to do it preventatively before you actually see the powdery mildew. If you start seeing mildew, repeat the treatment once a week.

hulahali711
Newly Registered

With the baking soda...I just sprinkled in on the soil and dug it in. Do you think this will work preventitively or should I be doing something else? Holly

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No you need to treat the leaves, not (just) the soil. Make a solution of a tsp of baking soda in a quart of water, add just a drop or two of soap (NOT DETERGENT, diswashing liquid is detergent). Mix it up and spray on upper and lower surfaces of all the leaves.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

What else is milk spray used for? My grandmother alway rinsed out her milk jugs and poured it on her plants :). I have read in a couple books that chamomile tea ( brewed) also has anti-fungal properties!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”