Tate
Cool Member

Fungal Diseases

I have very few insect problems. I have plenty of beneficial plants that attract beneficial insects that keep bad insects in check.

My main issue are fungal diseases. I get powdery mildew and now I have this powdery reddish stuff forming on the tips of some green bean plants. I try and keep my leaves dry and only water the roots so as not to spread disease.

Anyone know what this powdery red stuff is on the tips of my leaves? It almost looks like an reddish-brown ash like from a cigarette.

Has anyone had success with organic fungicides? If so, what should I try?

Thanks,

Tate

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hey Tate!

Reddish sounds like a rust, and that's a toughie; rusts can be really stubborn...

We just had a big discussion about Serenade which is listed for rusts on [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26638]this thread[/url]... I think that's a good call for you (Cynthia isn't so sure).

I have used milk as a low level fungicide and preventitive for years, and it's even curative on easier fungi like powdery mildew (it might be preventitive for rusts but it won't touch it once it's started; here's a [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25680&highlight=milk+antifungal]thread about that...[/url]

I have used copper sprays for some time but metals do tend to build in soils and I try to avoid that as much as possible, as fungi in the soils tends to be a good thing rather than a bad thing, and metals aren't great for us mammals...

Try that search function next time and you won't have to do so much typing, just plenty of reading (and reading is learning... 8) )

HG

Tate
Cool Member

Hey,

Thanks for the feedback on that. I am picking one more round on my green beans then planting purple hull peas in their place. I think I used too much of this foliar seaweed fertilize and made the green beans ill, then the fungus took advantage of the weak plants. I will note that and not make that mistake again. I got greedy and was trying to induce heavy blooming and it backfired on me. I agree on staying away from the copper stuff. I don't want to build that up in my soil.

Thanks again,

Tate

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”