gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

It's a big 'ol hover fly party in my garden.

Just out removing my broccoli, I don't know why I try the weather here just doesn't suit it well.

Anyways I let my cilantro go to seed. There are tons of tiny flowers on the 3-4 plants, just tons. Quite pretty if you ask me. Obviously all the tiny nectar/pollen lovers like it too. There is a bunch of hover fly's on it along with a myriad of other pollinators. I even saw some hover fly's doing the nasty. :lol:

I also noticed a bunch of lady bugs and have been for a while. They are everywhere you gotta love that.

Let's just say the beneficial insect population is going strong in my garden. they are all over the place and lot's of variety as well. The only bad bugs I have at the moment are the flea beetles and they are coming down in numbers as well I think.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

gixx - I have to grow broccoli in the fall, because temps warm up too quickly in the spring. The only bad pest found in my garden so far is fall armyworms, but that's about to change! Yee haw!!!

(EG is fascinated with bugs)

applestar
Mod

EG, can you outline how you grow broccoli for fall crop -- start another thread?
I wanted to try this but missed my timing last year, and I REALLY want to try it this year. :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote: I wanted to try this but missed my timing last year, and I REALLY want to try it this year. :D
I will be doing this myself. The fall is way better for me. Though last year the caterpillars destroyed my broccoli.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

applestar - sure, no problem!

EG

Toil
Greener Thumb

hover flies are so cool! They are on my porch constantly. It faces north and is covered, which I suppose tells us much about their preferences. (shelter, shade)

The male vs. male combat ritual they do over females is really cool. There must be a youtube, but back in the day David Attenborough featured them on his show.

man, I miss that show. That and David Suzuki specials.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”