Old Joe
Newly Registered

Ants...Bad or Good..

Hello all,

Are ants good for the garden? I try and "Live and let live" (except for groundhogs) and ants do prey on other insects...But I have two new cucumber plants by one nest and somthing has torn them a new bottom...

Is there a particular pest that loves young Cucumber saplings?

Thanks...

Old Joe [/img]

Toil
Greener Thumb

my take is not about bad or good or evil. Ants just is, man. They are nature's mom that tells you to pick up your room, and if you don't she takes all your toys and eats them or puts parasites on them. Starting with the weakest. How ruthless! Where's the love and understanding? Some mom!

They are also our direct competition in some ways. You can avoid world war 3 by keeping things less interesting for them - they don't like moist areas, for instance. But I'm not shy about controlling my territory and taking the ants down a peg. I use boric acid in honey/peanut butter in a spice jar with hole punched in the lid. Just observe and you will notice if they are on protein or sugar.

But what about when you see ants on a catch crop or weed you have left there on purpose? What then? Are they helping? Well - where will you get predators if you have no prey? If there are no cows to eat, the wolves get skinnier. They have to chase faster prey!

And what about seeds in the ground? Ever sow and wait for an hour? Pretty soon a good percentage of your seeds is walking away. Now ask yourself - if you only sow very occasionally, and ants love those seeds, what kind of seeds are they normally eating? Weeds!

Nothing is good or bad. Ant cow farming can be good, and seed removal can be good. Remember, the ants use sustainable practices except where they have been transported by man to exotic ecosystems.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”