stella1751
Greener Thumb

Garden Centipedes and Millipedes

I just discovered that the garden bugs I was told, years ago, are simple water bugs are in fact garden centipedes. While working the soil, I generally find at least a half-dozen of these in each bed, and I just work around them.

This morning, now that I know what they are, I've been studying centipedes online. Some sites say they are beneficial while others say they are pests. What do other organic gardeners say? What might be the effect on my earthworm population and plants? Do they stay or do they go?

I also learned that the long brown segmented worm I thought were skinny cutworms (because they curl up into a circle when threatened) are millipedes. When I find these, I toss them into a can of water. What does anyone know about millipedes? Shall I continue to drown them?

Each year I learn so many new things about gardening! I suspect this will be a bug-identification year :-)

applestar
Mod

Welcome back, Stella! :D

I consider both centipedes and millipedes beneficial outside. Centipedes I also welcome in my container soil, though not millipedes (I.e. I exclude them *if* I see them while mixing potting soil but I don't go out of my way to search and eliminate). Indoors, as scary as they look, we don't kill house centipedes any more than we kill spiders.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Thanks, Applestar! I really hate killing bugs with the exception of cutworms, whose presence I take as a personal affront. I suspect that once my garden is in full swing, the centipedes will move on. The literature said they can drown during thorough waterings.

I don't know why, but the millipedes look sinister. I may continue to drown them if I see them, simply because their appearance offends me.

It's great to be back and to see all my old friends online!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Welcome back, we missed you! :)

Applestar and I have had this conversation before. I do not tolerate things like centipedes in the house. They get drowned! Spiders usually get removed to outdoors, sometimes get tolerated. But I'm really not big on creepy crawlies indoors.

Outdoors they are fine, though I'm just as glad I've never really seen a millipede in my garden.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Nice to hear from you again, Rainbow! I am in complete agreement with you that bugs don't belong in my home. If I find them there, I have no qualms about killing them, no matter how beneficial they may be outside. I especially dislike spiders in the house; spiders must die.

I think my reaction to the millipedes is archetypal, a gut reaction to their ugliness. I've found two since I posted this query, and I've killed both of 'em. I just don't like 'em, and I don't want to suggest to their unseen friends that their sort is welcome here.

How fun it is to be back and gardening and learning from my friends!

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Millipedes eat decaying plant matter, which make them beneficial to your soil, and centipedes eat other insects making them also beneficial.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Thanks, a0c8c. The centipedes appear to be moving on now that the beds are planted and I am watering regularly. Unfortunately, I found some millipedes while planting. One was writhing right next to a cucumber seed. I killed him.

I'd like to think of myself as a fair person, but the more I see of these fellows, the more certain I am that I am a millipede bigot. I just don't like the way they look :?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Come on now Stella the milli's are more good than bad. They NORMALLY decompose dead matter. Though they will eat live plant tissue they normally are shredders of decaying matter.

Be nice now. :lol: :P

stella1751
Greener Thumb

Check this out, Gixx: [url]https://www.donerickson.com/millipedes/millipedes.html[/url]

That's what they look like. Would you sell this bug a gun? :shock:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Just saying sharing is caring. :lol:

applestar
Mod

Aww... somebody likes Care Bears. :>

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”