speedster7926

bugs that I can't id in my garden good or bad bugs?

what bug is this and is it a good bug or bad its all over my cucumber and squash plants
[img]https://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz153/speedster7926/redbugsingardenfromnet.jpg[/img]

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Good bug! That's an assassin bug, and it kills bad bugs by piercing them with it's needle-like mouth part, then sucks the fluids out. However, don't touch it, because it really hurts!

EG

speedster7926

oops I have been smooshing them lol oh well lots more of them there thats a pic I found online tomorrow ill have an actual photo of them in my garden hopefully they are the same ty

dremmle

I have these too! I have not squashed them, but I noticed they always had a fly or random bug in their mouth.

Glad to know they are good. Will they kill ladybugs or their larvae? The plant I saw several of these bugs on is also my most populated by ladybugs.

Thanks,

sorry if I hijacked the thread!

speedster7926

lol just glad I'm not the only one w/ these lol and knowing they are good makes me feel way better my first real garden lol

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

They are good to a point. They can inflict pain on humans and they are non discriminative on the bugs they prey on such as lady bugs or whatever is in their path. But better a whole mess of them than say a tobacco hornworm.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”