cultivateIT
Newly Registered

Is this powdery mildew?

If it is... :(
How do I get rid of it? Thanks in advance!

It looks fuzzy, and its spotted on about 1/4 of the plant.
It's variety is: Banana Melon.
https://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae296/jonkim80/100_0821.jpg?t=1273644943

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Yes, it's powdery mildew. There are two methods of attack; each is non-toxic.

Unfortunately, it's late at night for me and I can't remember the proper proportions of water + baking soda for one approach.

The other is milk (any milk except skim) + water. Some people also add a small amount of plain yogurt with live cultures and let the mixture stand for a while to allow the lactobacillus to propagate. You can use anywhere from 10% milk to 50% milk in this approach, and if you were to use a pint (16 oz./475 mL) of total solution, you'd use 1 tsp/5 mL of yogurt. Spray this solution onto the leaves, top and bottom, with a fine-mist spray bottle. Use it all up, so don't make extra. As you can imagine, it doesn't keep well. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

cultivateIT
Newly Registered

cynthia_h wrote:Yes, it's powdery mildew. There are two methods of attack; each is non-toxic.

Unfortunately, it's late at night for me and I can't remember the proper proportions of water + baking soda for one approach.

The other is milk (any milk except skim) + water. Some people also add a small amount of plain yogurt with live cultures and let the mixture stand for a while to allow the lactobacillus to propagate. You can use anywhere from 10% milk to 50% milk in this approach, and if you were to use a pint (16 oz./475 mL) of total solution, you'd use 1 tsp/5 mL of yogurt. Spray this solution onto the leaves, top and bottom, with a fine-mist spray bottle. Use it all up, so don't make extra. As you can imagine, it doesn't keep well. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9
Thank you Cynthia!
I will give it a go. Hope it works, will keep my fingers crossed :D

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”