jr3261
Newly Registered

Re: Carpenter bees; how do I get rid of them?

I am in the processing of restaining with a water born semi-transparent stain. I am adding 2 oz of cayenne pepper to 5 gallons of stain. It absolutely works with insects, so I thought that I would give it a try with the Carpenter Bees. Wish me luck. I still have the badminton racquet if this fails!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

So glad someone brought this up again. The carpenter bees were really working on our deck earlier this season also. It is a carport under it. Every day there would be piles of sawdust on the car.

So I looked around and found this stuff: Citri-Fresh Bee Stop

https://www.amazon.com/Bee-Stop-1-Gallon/dp/B00F761PTW

It is an all natural organic repellent made with citrus and tea tree oils. AND it works! It took about three applications a week or two apart, when the bees started coming back. Since then we have not seen a single one. And it doesn't kill the bees, just protects your deck from them.

I suppose you could do a DIY version, but this was easy. Just pour it into a spray bottle and spray. The only thing is the one gallon seems like a life time supply. I wouldn't be surprised if it needs to be reapplied next year, but being natural oils, I don't know if it would keep like that. Oh well, if I had to spend $30 every year to protect the deck, that isn't terrible.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”