JoyAdams
Newly Registered

My plant died and I don't know why

Hope to get advice. I had an epiphyte (a small baby one) and I was monitoring it carefully..giving it enough water and it was growing and healthy when one day the leaves just went brown in the middle so I cleared the brown one but just as I touched it, the leave fell out and When I touched the rest, It all fell out. I tried looking for fungus or insects but I do not see any. This happen to another plant in another pot. What happened? Anyone with the same problem?

applestar
Mod

It sounds to me like it got too much water? They like more humidity but less water, if that makes sense.

JoyAdams
Newly Registered

I shall keep that in mind when I get a new one. I just hope it wasn't fungus. If it was, any natural sprays I can use maybe apple cider?

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Calling it an epiphyte is too vague for us to be sure what's happened. If you can give us a little more detail on what it looked like, if it ever bloomed, how long you had it, that will help.

I have epiphytic bromeliads and a couple of epiphytic cacti. There are also epiphytic aroids and epiphytic orchids. All four of those terms (broms, cacti, aroids, orchids) are also huge classifications and meaningless without more detail.

Once the broms bloom, that mama plant will gradually wither and die, producing decaying leaves to feed and support the pup plants that offset. Are you talking about a longish strap like leaf from a rosette of leaves that pulled out easily, then all the others did, too? If it's a bromeliad, that's how they roll. There is usually a baby or pup or offset at the base, though.

applestar
Mod

Good point. The sorry looking pineapple in the front in this photo looks dead but actually has a pup growing at the base. You can see it peeking from the 8 o'clock position. The other mother plant has sustained 3 pups since last summer -- those pups will be uppotted to individual containers as soon as the weather warms up a little more. (I have to bring these plants back inside due to impending cold weather -- vacation over for now. :roll:)
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image6862.jpg[/img]

JoyAdams
Newly Registered

hey thanrose,

I tried looking for the name but failed to do so. But I did find a picture in my folder of another one in my garden and now silly me, I don't even know how to upload a picture. Do I need to upload it somewhere and attach the link here?

I did take the advice n left it there to see if there was another one growing but sadly no, no sign of any living plant in there..

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

The webmaster has posted guidelines to help members with photos of their plants:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724

Best wishes!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”