Nathan_sr
Newly Registered

Organic Mixture to Keep Bugs Away

take 68 oz of watter take one hole bulb of garlic and grind into fine powder and mix together and pour into a aplicator spray bottle or aplicater tank and aply to plants and the borders to ur property and it will keep the bugs and mosquitos awy and most plant eating bugs away have used on my own property and it has worked for me try it and I hope it would work for u.

Toil
Greener Thumb

I'm married... so can I just spray it on myself?

thehopefulgardener

What kind of bugs does this work for? Does it work on slugs? What about deer will it keep them out of my plants? Sounds like a good idea I may try it. :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Don't think it works very well for slugs. Works for a lot of kinds of insects and garlic is a deer repellant. Commercial deer repellant (Deer-Off) is mostly garlic, sodium lauryl sulfate (like in shampoo), whole egg solids (for that nice rotten egg smell). You can make your repellant more potent by blending up hot peppers with it and some tomato leaves.

I blend the garlic, peppers, tomato leaves in water with a few drops of soap (NOT detergent, not diswashing liquid, actual soap) and a little bit of salad oil to help it stick to the plants. Let it sit for a few hours, strain and spray. Very effective, but only use it where needed, on the insect population. It will keep honeybees away as well. Any insect repellant / insecticide you use is best used in the evening after honeybees are gone for the day and used in as limited way as possible (the soap and tomato leaves make this insecticidal as well as repellant). Natural does not mean harmless!

thehopefulgardener

Thanks for the info. :) I know that an egg mixed in a quart of water will repell deer, but it seems to mottle the flower petals and has to be reapplied every time it rains or you water. My mom has used it for years. Will adding oil to it keep it from washing off?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Helps... but after awhile you will need to reapply. The garlic makes the egg mixture more potent repeller.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”