mrsgreenthumbs

Update on my slug infestation

So I was at a loss with my freshly sprouted plant's looking more like doily's than leaves. I was watching my hard work go to the slugs when I got fed up and wet to the store and bought some slug and snail bait. At first I saw no change.. I was still losing plants right down to stubbs for a while. But I was persistent, and continued to apply the bait. Now I think Iv got the upper hand. I can see that there are still a few new nibbles here and there but for the most part I have made a good dent in the numbers!!!! And I have found a new plan too! In a week or so I am going to stop putting out poison... because I have bought myself some mercenary 5 adorable chicks are growing as we speak in a brooder just itching to get outside and eat those slimy little buggers!!!

I'm half way tempted to stop now and give them a false sense of hope, maybe fatten them up a bit before I release the chickens!!! :twisted:

Oh revenge... it's awesome!

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

Read your caution on the slug poison that you have used. Is it toxic to birds and fish? Chickens are birds. Does it say how long it is toxic for?

I haven't used anything like that, so I honestly don't know what you used.

But, it would break your heart, to put those cute baby chicks out there, and have them die from the poison used on the slugs.

I use diatomaceous earth in slug fighting, and egg shells, both of which are okay for chickens. You can put DE in dry beans and peas, and they are okay to eat. You can also use it to worm your animals. So, it is safer. But, this year, I am trying not to use DE, since I don't know how it would affect honeybees.

Read carefully, before you put your babies out there.

mrsgreenthumbs

Thanks for the advice ozarklady, I'll do more research before we do anything that could make the girls sick. :D I'm just looking forward to having some help in the garden :wink:

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

in my experience, ducks are alot more likely to go for slugs than chickens.

mrsgreenthumbs

well as long as my girls keep pooping ("no problem", say the chicks, "can do boss!") and putting out egg's I'm a happy camper!

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”