RobinDz62
Newly Registered

I want Natural pest control....

Is there a mixing ratio I need to use on the hot peppers and garlic?

I read online somewhere that using your dishwater after you are fininshed washing the dishes is a good bug repellent for plants.
What do you think?

~Robin

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>I read online somewhere that using your dishwater after you are fininshed washing the dishes is a good bug repellent for plants.

not a good idea. most dish washing stuff is a detergent, not a soap - and detergents might kill the bugs, but also the plants. there are 'insecticidal soaps' on the market - these are carefully formulated to do in the bug but not the plant.

soaps are actually not a repellent - they "work" by dissolving the waxy protective coating on insects which lets them 'dry out to death' - as such it's a "contact insecticide" - you must get it on the bug proper.

what specific bugs are you having problems with?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with above, that most dishwashing liquids are detergent and harmful to plants. But you don't really need insecticidal soap. Just be sure your soapy water is actual soap -- Ivory or Dr. Brunner's or something like that.

The garlic / pepper recipe doesn't need to be exact. I use a garlic/ pepper mixture and just throw in handfuls of this and that. Blend it all up in water, let it sit for a few hours, strain, dilute some more and spray. It's not rocket science! As long as it smells pretty potent, you are fine. You can put a few drops of SOAP, in your garlic/ pepper mix.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”