mrsgreenthumbs

Susan - Oh my lord.... you just totally reminded me of a child hood memory of my granny. She would take this old cooking pot and go about first thing in the morning with a cigarette hanging from her mouth picking snails and slugs from the garden so one day I was out with her in the yard when she asked me to go get the salt... I hadn't paid attention to what she did with a pot of snails... hadn't given it much thought... so I asked, like all curious little girls would.

"What's the salt for Grammi?"

Grammi - "the snails...watch"

It took her 2 hours or so to calm me down. I threatened to call the police on her for animal cruelty. :lol:

Dixana
Greener Thumb

:lol: I think I woulda like your granny.
How many kids from the current generation are gonna have "gardening with grandma" (or mom) memories? My guess is not many

applestar
Mod

Back then you simply couldn't appreciate your Grammi's grim satisfaction in the writhing agony and demise of the Stomachs-on-Feet (as cynthia_h calls them) that ate the fruits of her labor. :x

Night after night, picking up literally HUNDREDS of slugs that ate punched-tin-lanterns out of my lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower as I cast around the beam of the flashlight, I did reach that point of :twisted:-ness.

But I recovered my more peaceful nature after. I am somewhat relieved to feel again an unshakable internal conflict in seeing them suffer. O:) ...still, what must be done, must be done. :evil:

You just haven't reached that point yet. :wink:
(Although with a childhood trauma like that hanging over you, you might end up surrendering the garden to the footed slimers. :lol:

This year, I'm working to get them before they grow up and I have to lay eyes on them. Have been diligent with DE, wheat bran, as well as the Iron Phosphate-bait. Initial casualties have been mostly little 1/4" snails. :twisted:

mrsgreenthumbs

Dixana - It's in our blood. My Great Grandmother Nana is 96 and she was "green" before the word meant what it does today. That woman can stick anything in the ground and make it grow. My Grammi is the same way but her tricks are all chem related... I'm working on her ;). And then mom is a major gardener. She can't grow stuff like I can or Nana, she's more into succulent's, and if she can't MAKE her garden green then she will throw money at it until it obeys! And little old me lol. Most of the cousins don't really bother with the gardening so I'm pretty proud of my hobby/obsession. Carrying on the tradition 5 generations strong. :wink:

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I still remember sittin the garden with my grandma getin yelled at for eating more beans then I picked :D
My mom doesn't do veggies but for some herbs and some hot peppers, but her yard and flower gardens could be featured in better homes and gardens.

mrsgreenthumbs

Oh apple... I was WAY over the scarrage after my first year in my own home and (I happen to be a barefoot type of child... I is special lol) I would go out to lovingly inspect my tiny, weed over run work in progress of a garden and feel the nasty cold squish of slug gut's between my TOES! I wear shoes more often now... I think part of my problem (or so I'm trying to convince my DH) is his stopid camero that he insists on leaving in my garden... NOT cool. It was supposed to have been gone a year ago... GRRR. So I think it's a home to all those slug's... plus I want to build my chicken pen there so CAMERO HAS TO GO DARNIT!

applestar
Mod

Oh, well, why not work with what you got -- What about a CAMERO CHICKEN COOP :D (too bad it's not a FIREBIRD... :lol: )

Hmm let's see... take the tires off and put the wheels on cinder blocks painted/decorated with adorable chicken pictures... you don't need the engine block, so take all that stuff out and hang the waterer and the feeder from the hood so when you open it, they'll rise up for filling... hm, hm... You can run a ramp up under the hood to the floor...

Keep the battery and you can hook up the light bulb to keep them warm when needed, and play some music on the radio -- some people say chickens like music.... Set up the rear deck with nesting boxes so you can collect the eggs from that end.... Are the windows electric or manual, because if they're manual, that would be fantastic, you can adjust ventilation as needed... :> :wink:

Dixana
Greener Thumb

And now all you have to do is show your hubby that post and the car will be gone by morning :lol:

mrsgreenthumbs

ROFLMBO!

Oh your my kinda gals! Real thinking machines! :wink:

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Oh my, memories coming out of the long gone past! I grew up in SE Massachusetts. We had gardens and chickens, sheep and such. The next neighbor down the road had some old car in the yard and set up as a chicken coop. I kid you not!
BTW, that was before Cameros and firebirds.... Not quite model T's, but definitely older.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”