gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Stupid beetles are gonna be everywhere

Just outside diggin a shallow trench for a stone border to expand my front flower garden.

Well I found a TON of beetle larva. :shock: Still ton's of worms but the larvae are everywhere. If only I could train my worms to combat the larvae I would be good to go.

I did put down some milky spore but that takes time to become truly effective so I'm gonna be battling these suckers all season.

applestar
Mod

Hmm. You might want to take some samples somewhere - county ag extension office? -- to have them ID'd. Are there different-looking ones?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

No offense Apple but why would I do that? They will still be there.

applestar
Mod

Only wondering if they ARE indeed all Japanese beetles and other pest beetles. :|

Maybe you need some friendly moles in your garden.... With your explosive earthworm party, some may decide to move in. I've noticed that in my clay-based soil, the moles don't seem to cause as much visible damage. I see much more obvious tunneling where the soil is sandier and the tunnels sink and surfaces are dug up more easily.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks and again I meant no harm Apple. :D

I would rather get rid of them than find out what they are. 8)

Is grub-ex bad stuff, I would assume is probably not great for grubs, but is it one of those non-selective killers as well as all around bad for the environment kinda thing?

applestar
Mod

I think your weather is still going to be cool enough for applying beneficial nematodes. I would go that route. I only know of Gardens Alive for source, but there are probably other places. Hopefully someone with more recent purchase experience will post recommendations.

:idea: I wonder if drenching the area with AACT might not help?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Active ingredient in grub-ex is imidacloprid, which is nasty stuff

"highly toxic to honeybees and sparrows, moderately toxic to game birds, moderately toxic to water invertebrates"

https://groups.ucanr.org/PesticideMitigation/files/48090.pdf

Gixx - I thought you were on board with us, don't go killing the life in your soil folks!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Active ingredient in grub-ex is imidacloprid, which is nasty stuff

"highly toxic to honeybees and sparrows, moderately toxic to game birds, moderately toxic to water invertebrates"

https://groups.ucanr.org/PesticideMitigation/files/48090.pdf

Gixx - I thought you were on board with us, don't go killing the life in your soil folks!
Easy now. :lol: That is what I thought but wasn't sure. Never fear I won't be using any grub-ex. But I will have a ton of beetles. I put down the Milky spore which some may say is not the greatest thing either. I just don't know what else to do.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know of ecological problems with the milky spore.

That and the nematodes seem to be the main lines of defense.

But the Japanese beetles when they show up are large and slow and pretty easy to hand pick...

GardenJester

you can try traps after they emerge. Thou it would work better if you can convince everyone in the neighborhood to also use the traps so you don't end up attracting all the beatles in the neighborhood to your garden.

or better yet, convince all your neighbors to use the traps, but don't use it yourself. :P

you can also try collecting a bunch of beatles and drown them in a spray bottle, and leave it out in the sun for couple days so it stinks of dead beatles, then spray your garden with it, supposely, the smell will repell the beatles. Not sure how effective it is.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Todes, gixxster, todes!

If you really are worried about a lot of grub population (happens), this is your best biological bet... here's a thread from a while back where I tell you [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=73533&sid=e84fb0a64b540fe55ada17cd0d2c9906]everything NOT to do with nematodes[/url]... :wink:

HG

johnnytomatoseed

:) 5 years ago , I didnt know what a Japenese beetle was. Now , they are a pain. I have tried traps. The traps work very well..... too well. I am under going Milky spore therapy right now. I started 2 years ago and the population has decreased slightly.they say it takes a few years here in the north
I sprayed my peaches with Surround and it helped some. I also laid a sheet of plastic under the trees. I sprayed soapy water on it early in the morning then I shook the tree. The sheet was full of beetles. They died.This definitly helped bring down the population.
One of my wifes patients told her that there is a type of geranium which when dried and sprayed onto the plant will prevent them from landing. I do not know which variety of geranium. The person who can come up with a non toxic but effective way will become a multi gazillionaire. john

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

HG thank but I'm on a spending freeze right now.

If you would have said "toads" or treefrogs, lizards than I would be alright. Though they will help I'm sure, or at least I hope.

I do have a 25 gallon jug a muratic acid I wonder if that would work. :lol:

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”