mrsgreenthumbs

White fluttery flies like things and whispy mould

I have these white flies on my plant's and they mainly come from a hibiscus bush We have tried the pepper, garlic, dish soap mix with no change. Is there anything else I can do? We have tried chopping everything back but I'm really getting tired of that since every time we cut it back we have to wait all that time for it to grow back and they just come back any way's.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

When you used the soap spray, did you spray every 7 to 10 days, so that any new hatchlings would be killed?

The critters can be washed off of the plant periodically with a stream of water from the garden hose. Horticultural oils are an effective method of control, as well.

The larvae of ladybug beetles and lacewing flies are natural predators of white flies.

mrsgreenthumbs

Guess I'll try the spraying method next. Should I spray it down every day? What would be the next step if this doesn't work?

mrsgreenthumbs

Oh and I had no idea it would take that long I sprinkled it around my veggie patch and every stinkin bug that was creeping on in is GONE! Of course I also sprinkled chili powder around the box too so when I noticed the flies were still there I was perplexed. It worked for the veggies but not the hibiscus. Although with the veggie patch it's just getting started while the hibiscus has been infested over and over again for YEARS!

mrsgreenthumbs

Oh and as a side note, that organic pest repellent was rather rank! It is something that worked wonderfully with out the side effect of guilt that you usually get with the pesticides but I wouldn't use it near your home. I used mine on the hibiscus bush... this bush stands at least as tall as I am and I stand 5'9" and big around... and it's right by my front door... yah. Not exactly a welcoming scent when you walk through the door.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Type whitefly into the Search the Forum feature; there's been lots written here already about them.

Here's one where I posted a link to a nice article about them:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=108820&highlight=whitefly#108820

mrsgreenthumbs

UPDATE: Well we hacked the bush down (it was so congested inside there were at least 4 main trunks!) And sprayed it with some poison (I know -legasp!-) and.... they were still trying to make things work for them. I found them on one leaf about a week ago and quickly sprayed them off. Now I am power washing my bush about every day and hopefully... this will be the final battle. The old foliage was bagged up and is waiting for it's turn to take the trip to the dump. Hopefully I am the victor in this little war and once and for all we are done with those annoying buggers! :roll:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hibiscus is white fly bait of the worst order... this will be a recurring issue until you get the soil around the plant healthy enough for the plant to defend itself. And pesticides just made it harder to do that as they are detrimental to microbial life in the soil, which both the plant and the soil need.

You should get some compost around that plant to start that back up as soon as possible. I like the power washing idea a lot, but whitefly is tenacious.. Neem oil smells a little but can be helpful, soap is a good answer for any softbodied insects.

Keep us informed...

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I got this from here I know you have already tried many things but more info is always good in these trying times.
https://www.ghorganics.com/whiteflies.html

Preventative Measures

Use a seaweed spray to mist the leaves of your plants. Along with all the benefits plants derive from a seaweed spray it also seems to make the foliage undesirable for whiteflies to reproduce on. Spray garden plants in spring, houseplants at least a week before bringing inside and use in the greenhouse for seedlings and as needed. Try our Seaweed Powder.

Insecticidal soap: White flies are soft-bodied insects and can be successfully controlled and prevented with insect soap sprays. Try Insect Soap for whiteflies.

Repellant plants: African, French marigolds (Tagetes), Calendula, nasturtiums, and Peruvian cherry. (try these just for kicks, Dono)

Shoofly plant traps whiteflies on it leaves making it a perfect choice to control and monitor the little devils in the greenhouse or home.

Direct Controls

Use a vacuum to carefully suck up as many whiteflies as you can. Insect or dustbuster units are ideal.

Here's a recipe for whiteflies to try:

Mix 1 tablespoon of insecticidal soap, 1 cup of 70% isopropyl alcohol and 1 quart of water. Proceed to spray at least 2 times 7 days apart. Spray heavily to the point of runoff. Do not breath the mist of this as the isopropyl alcohol is poisonous. When used with care it can be effective. Do test for alcohol sensitivity on plants as isopropyl alcohol will dissolve the natural coating on plants that have waxy leaves. Do not use on seedlings. Though not as strong and more expensive, vodka may be substituted for the isopropyl alcohol.

Whiteflies cam be an indicator of phosphorous and magnesium deficiencies. You can correct magnesium deficiencies by mixing 4 ounces of Epsom salts with 1 gallon of water. Use as a soil soak for infested plants. We won't say that this is a cure all but it can certainly benefit your plant especially tomatoes and peppers.

For the greenhouse and possibly inside: use a yellow light bulb which attracts the flies and toasts them like a bug zapper. Unlike a bug zapper beneficial insects that might be in the greenhouse are not fried by the yellow light.

Last resort: Pyrethrum or a Rotenone/Pyrethrum combination, both botanical poisons, paralyzes them on contact. The key to using these products is to directly spray the target pest. This would be the under and upper surfaces of the leaves where they congregate. Making 2 applications 3 to 5 days apart should give control.

Use rue or eucalyptus, making a very strong tea from them. Then apply this as a spray against the adults.

Light horticultural oil can be used as a spray to suffocate the flies indoors and out.

Alcohol spray: Mix 4 ounces of 70% isopropyl alcohol to 12 ounces of water and spray. Again test for plant sensitivity as alcohol can burn. Don't use on plants with waxy or hairy leaves.

mrsgreenthumbs

This summer my goal is to try to beef up the front flower bed's and make it at least decent enough for the existing plant's. The soil that is there... well I wouldn't even call it soil. It's more like silt and gravel and broken glass... I don't know how or why it got the way it is but Iv been pulling old lighters and trash and gravel and weeds out of those bed's for 2 years now :evil: So as I go I usually have a half bag of this or that kind of soil or compost or manure and that is usually where they go but this year I'll be putting some serious focus on that soil.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Now yer talkin'...

Gixx has some great ideas there, but they all address the symptoms (whiteflies) and not the disease (a plant that can't fight off whiteflies on its own).

Getting that soil right is the best way to set that plant back to good...

HG

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”