mrsgreenthumbs

How to create a habitat for my local birds (california)

I have a few blue jay's and a bunch of little what I call parking lot birdies in the oak trees in my back yard (not my choice, the land lord won't get rid of the darn things... such a pain!) any whozle I was thinking since I have birds in my yard as it is how can I encourage them to stick around and eat up the grubs and bug's in my garden?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

The easiest is to get a feeder of some sort even the little food bells work well. I have a boatload of birds with just this. You should build or buy a bird house. I'm going to build myself one, there are plans online just Google "free bird house plans" if that's what You want.

Proactive is the way to go. it's all part of integrated pest management.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I've found that water is a more effective draw for birds than food (... not that they don't come for food, too, of course. :lol: )

If you can rig up a birdbath with a bubbler or spray, the birds like it even better, but just a simple birdbath will attract them quite well. :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Oops kisal is right I should have mentioned that. I was figuring them going hand in hand. Water and food that is.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”