sco_oter
Newly Registered

Marigold's have Purple spots :!:

My marigold seedlings have developed purple spots :shock: . The tomatoes that I planted at the same time are spot less. I have ready maybe its lack of phosphorus so I sprinkled then with Organic Bone Meal. They look like clown plants with the polka dots. Anyone have any suggestions or had this problem?

[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/sco_oterfox/4366496359[/url]

Scooter

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I'm sure it's a deficiency. I've seen it before in annual plants, even annual weeds like Chenopodium album and Taraxacum officinale, aka Dandelion growing in poor soil. Let us know if the addition of phosphorus is the cure, will you?

sco_oter
Newly Registered

Well I am thinking it was a phosphorus defiency. I read about purpling of leaves in other plants and that was the problem. After watering in bone meal they started greening more. I repotted some of the marigolds last weekend in a good potting soil and mixed a little extra bone meal with the soil. They have shot off and their spots are fading. YEAH! :oops: I think I may have used the wrong bag on my marigolds and used seed starting mix instead of potting soil. My thumb is only partly green...I am hoping it start turning greener :). There is something special about watching the plants grow from seeds.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Good to know!

Yeah, I look at my seedlings way too often. It's fascinating to watch them burgeon forth. Ha! I'm already rooting for the first flowers on my marigolds to die so I can harvest the seed heads and sprout some more.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”