Zapatay

Sparrows are dramatically effecting the bluebird and othe native bird survival.

Some ideas on how to keep sparrows away:
- Do not feed bread crumbs or other bakery products. These are favorites of sparrows and starlings.
- Feed primarily SUNFLOWER seeds and SAFFLOWER seeds. These are generally preferred by most songbirds while being less preferred by the house sparrow.
- Feed SUNFLOWER HEARTS and NIGER in tube feeders and cut the perches down to about 1/4 inch so that the house sparrow can't hang on to them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agreed that judicious choice of foods and feeders cuts down on the "bad" birds. I feed thistle feed in upside down tube feeders-- the have the perch over the hole instead of under it, so the bird has to hang upside down to feed from it. Only a few songbirds can do it, among which are NOT the house finch and house sparrow! Sometimes some birds that can't do it are very entertaining trying! :)

I'm trying to focus more and more on growing food for the birds. That way you get the native birds that are adapted to using those foods. But still if you want them to make it through the winter in a climate like this and hang around til spring, you have to also do feeders.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Never fear I am trying to get some ground planted food the little guys as well.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”