GardenGeek
Cool Member

Pests around the pepper

HI...

I really don't want any chemical treatments so I was wondering what options I have for detering pests from my garden other than that. I have a couple of pepper plants in my backyard and I've noticed that insects have started to circle around the area.

They are not disturbing peppers growth but I guess after some time they will start effecting it badly
Any suggestions? Thanks... in advance.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Where do you garden that you have peppers and not snow in your garden?

There's been lots written here already on the topic. Try this as a starting point and it references a couple other threads:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=106869&highlight=organic+insect+repellant#106869

To the basic recipe cited there, you can add other things depending on how virulent you want to make it: tomato plant leaves, nicotiana (ornamental tobacco) leaves, flower heads of crysanthemums. But be careful, all of those things have real insecticidal properties and can be harmful to beneficial insects as well. Start with the basic recipe and see if that takes care of the problem.

Incidentally I add a few drops of salad oil just to help it stick better. And be careful where it says soapy water. Just a little bit of soap and be sure it really is SOAP, not detergent. Most dishwashing liquid is detergent, not soap, and it is harmful to your plants, can even kill them if concentrated. Ivory is soap and things like Dr. Bronner's pure castile soap, Murphy's oil soap.

applestar
Mod

FIRST, POSITIVELY IDENTIFY THOSE INSECTS!
What if they're good bugs rather than bad bugs?
If you don't know your heroes from your villains, try using the search function on this site for "beneficial insects"

GardenGeek
Cool Member

What can be the benefits of the bugs?

I mean they seem to do nothing good ...Please elaborate a little

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

they could be pollinators. they could be predators that prey on bad bugs or parasites on bad bugs (or their larvae could be parasites on bad bugs). They could be food for other beneficial insects or food that attracts birds that will also eat bad bugs. Applestar, what did I miss?

As long as they don't eat your plants or otherwise damage them, there's probably no reason to worry about them and they probably do serve some function in your little ecosystem.

applestar
Mod

I think you've just about covered it all. :wink:
Here's an example of a thread on the subject you might find by searching the forum: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=94346
Tobacco hornworms also enjoy pepper plants, just ask gixxerific.

GardenGeek
Cool Member

I am happy then, because it had been week since these bugs are around my pepper and they haven't damaged the plant. They are definitely the ecosystem fundamental creatures :)

Thanks for clearing the issue

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Have you figured out what they are yet? Maybe take some pics. It is kinda early for the bad bugs or for that matter the good bugs to be out at least here it is.

Another thing to remember is that if the bad bugs aren't severaly hurting your plants leave them for a bit and that SHOULD bring in the predators. If everytime you go and destroy the bad bugs you will not attract the good bugs and that could make it worse in the long run. Sounds crazy but it's true.

You could also plant small nectar producing plants to atract the good guy's. Dill, Parsley, Nasturtium, Yarrow even let you dandelions grow for a bit. Even leave a small container of water with a rock or small piece of plywood in it so the good guy's can get a drink. Yet again sounds crazy but a blanced ecosystem is what you should be striving for.

Good luck I had some bad dealings with a few pest last year, this year it's on suckers. :x

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”