joshbuchan

green flys on my spearmint!! what do I do

I just found some tiny green flys on my spearmint cutting on the window, I picked them all of it and killed them :twisted: what about if they come back... what should I do??

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I believe they're probably aphids. If your plant is small enough, you can just wash the critters away by holding the plant under the faucet. Be careful to wash all the surfaces, and you may have to do it about once a week for a month or so, to be sure you get them all. I routinely wash off my smaller plants, just to clean any accumulated dust and dirt off them. :)

joshbuchan

ok great thanks, should I just wash them under a tap or use a spray gun then wipe the leaves aftrer?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Most of the time, I just rinse them off under the tap. If it's a larger plant that's awkward to handle, I use the sink sprayer. If it's a big floor-sized plant, I put it in my bathtub and use the hand-held shower to rinse it off.

I also have a little 10-gallon hand-pump plant sprayer, just a cheap little thing I picked up at the garden store for less than $10. I never use anything in it except plain water. That's what I used to wash off the big plants in the bathtub in the days before I installed my hand-held shower in the bathroom. I still find it handy, even for use outdoors, because it has a gentler spray than my garden hose. :)

GardenGeek
Cool Member

They are definitely aphids!
Aphids are tiny, light green and have sorta longer legs and are in clusters.

A diluted dish soap solution should get rid of them or just set your plant in a sink or tub and spray them off with a shower head sprayer which should also do the trick.

joshbuchan

well I rinesed it under a tap after picking them all of :twisted: its only a small baby cutting so it was bent for a day after the wash but its looking more helthey now and know aphides yet so hopefully that shoud of had them, there was only like 10 so I got it urly I think :D

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”