Toil
Greener Thumb

really really tiny gnats

I scooped some worm castings today, and it looked like it was sparkling. very very tiny gnats or gnat like flies.

could these be predator gnats? they are about 1/10th the size of fungus gnats or less. Would they live in a damp dark place?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

No-see-ums like to breed in damp, dark places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceratopogonidae

Toil
Greener Thumb

Hmm could be the same family, but I found adults where larvae are supposed to hang. They didn't have that sleek shape. Kinda boxy. But they definitely could get through a screen

this is in my basement. Not is the vermicompost, but in pure castings that collect where the handles are.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I know they breed out in my yard in the areas around both of my birdbaths. Very rich soil there from all the birdie poo, and always damp from me dumping the baths out daily to clean and refill them.

Toil
Greener Thumb

Will they fly up and bite us?

Ack! Don't want no seeums. Not in the house.

I have bad memories involving being on the water, having a sunburn, and noseeums.

Tomorrow I'm using the pocket scope. Any ideas on how to stun them? Freezer?

applestar
Mod

I think the usual practice is to put the bugs in a jar with a cotton ball soaked in rubbing alcohol....

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

They do swarm, and they do bite. I don't know if they'd get into the areas of your home where you live. In my yard, the swarms tend to hang out in the shady areas, so I guess they might be more of a problem in the less brightly lighted areas of your home, if they come up at all.

fetida_freida
Newly Registered

they sound like fungus gnats--which could be an entirely different problem. that means your worm bin is too moist. but since I can't see what your describing it could be another kind of insect.

the late mary appelhof (aka the worm woman) has a book called "worms eat my garbage" and talks in chapter 12 about other insects that live in your worm bin. they could be springtails based on your size description. they aren't harmful. do these bugs spring when you finger through the compost?

Toil
Greener Thumb

oh no, they are much smaller than fungus gnats. small enough to ride on the back of one like a horse. and they are also gone!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Congratulations on the gone part! Did they go away on their own or did something you did produce this result?

Toil
Greener Thumb

they just went away. Like they were living just in the castings where a little shelf is formed due to the molding of the handle.

Return to “Organic Insect and Plant Disease Control”